1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hi From Jeff Berlin

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by keysboy, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keysboy

keysboy

Jun 11, 2007
    Hi everyone,

Jeff originally planned to come on talkbass at 8pm EST. Due to some unforeseen circumstances, he will be coming on sometime between 9 and 930pm instead.

Thank you.

Ian
    for Jeff Berlin

2. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Greetings to All. And Apologies to All. I was delayed due to my children needing me this evening, usually a time when Mom is home with them. She had another appointment and I wanted to be home until she showed to take the "watch".

3. jeff you are amazing just to let you know

4. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Today I contacted Carlos Santana's management to ask him if he would contribute a guitar to Teddy Atlas' charity foundation. Their chief of operations called me amazing because I decided to help them out whenever I could. "Amazing" is an amazing title.

5. Jmassie

Jmassie

Jan 7, 2008
    Heya Jeff. Hows it going.

6. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    That is pretty cool Jeff. What is Teddy Atlas' charity foundation all about?

7. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Well, thank you! If anyone has any questions about music and how to improve as a player, please ask. If you have a problem with what I have said in the past about learning music, please ask about this as well.

8. Funny you should come on line this evening. I was cruising in my car this afternoon and what did I pop in the CD player but 'One of a Kind'. Great stuff, well done indeed.:cool:

9. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Teddy Atlas is the boxing commentator on ESPN'S "Friday Night Fights." I met him on a plane, we chatted, and I ended up playing the National Anthem at his annual dinner to raise money for his charity, "Dr. Theodore A. Atlas Foundation" which is named for his father. I was so moved by the good works that they try to do that I decided to help them out in any way that I could. If you want to know more, go to this link.

http://www.dratlasfoundation.com/

10. BluesWalker

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I purchased your CD a few weeks ago. I have been watching it in parts. I love some of he exercises where you solo over chord changes using, if I remember correctly, using chord tones. The exercise went from simlple to complex, it blew me away I will be trying it soon. Would you suggest this as a way to learn how to walk over a jazz tune?

11. BluesWalker

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for the Atlas link, I will check it out.......

12. BluesWalker

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I meant DVD, lol

13. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

just wondering when you pick-up your bass, do you warm up first, and or spend anytime working on phrasing, or well, I wouldn't suggest that you needed to work on anything, but how do you work out on a daily basis, and for how long? thanks, and am a huge fan as well.....brian

14. seakelp

seakelp

Mar 26, 2009
    Coconut Creek, FL
    hi, jeff...been working on chord tones given last week...where to next? do i progress using the same tones to other keys?

carroll

15. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Walking over a jazz tune requires no more than a few weeks to figure out. If you simply use the formula of where you are and where you are going (for example D-7 to G7, you always will be able to figure out perfect walking lines. But, you need a great teacher to show these to you. It isn't something that one can easily figure out on their own, unless they really dedicate themselves to this musical style.

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hi Jeff, Bruford's new autobiography is a great read and he talks about coming to your parents house and how you were the dream bassist for that gig. I saw that band and I agree!

17. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Jeff as someone who has taught so many about music, here's a music question for you more than a bass question.

My seven year old daughter of course sees me practicing my bass. As such, she's far more interested in learning bass than she is piano or some other instrument. I'm kind of torn because while I'd love to see her pick up the bass, she seems simply too small to play the instrument, and I can't help but feel that starting on the piano (which is how I started - even though I haven't played piano in 30 years) is the right way to get grounded in music theory.

Then I think to myself - go with where the energy and interest is. Buy her a short scale bass and see what happens. I'm interested in your perspective and experience in watching and teaching others.

18. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Jeff, when you were a teen (15-16), did you have the attention to learn theory, scales, modes, etc. Im 16, and supposedly a great bassist, I have been told, but I cant get myself to get the umph to just sit down and study these things.

Maybe some attention from a proven master of the art could give me that push. ;)

19. Trapezius

Trapezius

Mar 1, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Jeff, it's great to see you here again! I've read the previous threads you started.

I guess this is the only message you'll get from someone who isn't actually a bass player here on this board. I'm a keyboard player, but I play bass too, although pretty lousy. Just wanted to say, I first heard about you a few months ago when I saw you on youtube, and was blown away. I don't think I've seen that great playing anywhere... you gave me a lot of inspiration to practice. Even though our music is very different, I got a lot of inspiration from watching that video. Not just inspiration to play bass, but also a few musical ideas.

So, thanks a lot for that, and thank you for taking time to talk to us. It's a rare thing, and I really appreciate it.

20. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    My first bit of controversy of the night.

Warm-up lessons are mostly a bogus concept for bass players. If you simply play lightly, you will be ready to play in a short time. Your hands always are at 98.6 just like the rest of your body. Nothing really necessary to warm up per se. your hand and arm muscles simply need a little re-familiarization time on the instrument. Repeat: there are no good warm-up exercises anywhere for bass players except to play music at a sound check, in a rehearsal room, etc for a couple of minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.