1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hi from nowhere NY!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by chickadeedeedee, Aug 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Been playing trombone for over a decade, recently decided to pick up something new! Just moved to a new place in a new town, things just lined up right.

Ended up here following searches for "beginner bass" and now that the gear is ordered and on the way I figured I may as well poke around a little more. :V

Coming from a wind instrument, all the talk of amps and electronics is a bit alien to me, but I'm lurking around trying to absorb what I can. Can't wait for my bass to show up so I can get started for real!

back4more likes this.
  2. Welcome!

This is a great place to be, enjoy!

What bass have you ordered?

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

So what did you get?

4. I ended up with an Ibanez SR250. Went to a nearby shop (or what passes for nearby around here...), the guys there were extremely patient while I plonked away on just about everything $400 and below, that was the one I kept wanting to pick back up.

Didn't have the color I liked best though (solid white, I like simple), hence the order. Amp is just a small thing that will be driving headphones 90% of the time because my apartment has thin walls and I keep odd hours.

pschwei37, Gazman and hrodbert696 like this.
  5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice! Post a pic when it arrives. TB rules - no pic, no bass. Enjoy playing!

6. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Welcome to the bottom end. Your trombone experience will flow right into your bass; bass clef, etc.

I do not believe an instructor was mentioned. When it comes in if you are not going with an instructor the book Bass Guitar for Dummies is a good place to start as the first thing it gets into is how to hold the bass. Lot of back pain, and wrist pain will be eliminated if you are holding the beast correctly. There should be no pain in bass playing. The book gets into how to tune it, get sound from it and how to mute some of the unwanted sound. Yes the beast growls and muting is just something we live with. Start on page one and don't get too far ahead until you understand what page three is talking about.

I tried clarinet and could never get my mouth to do what it was supposed to do. I gave it to a friend and it ended up being second chair at the local high school. My point; nothing wrong with that clarinet, besides me. With the bass it's going to take awhile, but stick with it. I've played several stringed instruments over the years, but, have had the most enjoyment from playing bass along with some friends. Working with the drummer and rhythm guitar laying down the foundation that the rest of the band will use for this song is a blast. The rhythm section working together as a team is an enjoyable spot to be part of.

Earphones work and keep your bass out on a stand - ready to go any time you are. I liked having a music stand so I could keep the music I'm working on out also.

Scales first, then chord tones, then see a Cmaj7 chord and your fingers are already going to a bass line that will work under that Cmaj7 chord. Yes there is a path... Dummies can keep you on track....

Welcome and good luck.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  7. It's here! :>

04ftFe-llvstJYAsO30tiAJLjnX3RmSWIGn9K17GdNU0sGMON1bJ68GWpZdw_3swDo0NiGsQT_9c0nbTkw=w1308-h870-no.

Well, it's been here for a few days, but I haven't been online much. Just set me up a little bass corner so I can plug in and play whenever I like. Current progress: can play a c major scale, can almost play it up and down twice in a row without flubbing a note. :laugh:

For the very-very beginner stuff, I've been finding the studybass youtube+site to be very helpful. Doesn't assume any prior knowledge, doesn't skim over anything because he's afraid of being boring. Just really straightforward information.

8. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Looks great. Have fun.