1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HI! from the Philippines :D

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by malayayu, Nov 1, 2010.

1. malayayu

malayayu

Nov 1, 2010
    I've been a bassist for about two years, since I was 14, and we've recently started gigging this year. :hyper: I tried to learn the guitar at 11, got depressed at how slow I was learning and stopped, then stopped for about a year.
    I picked the guitar up again at grade 6 to help a friend out, and was surprised at how fast I learned. :D
    My dad bought a bass for his solo recordings and I wasn't really interested until someone asked me to join a band battle, it was my first one and we won 3rd place.:cool:
    I realized that the bass is a totally undervalued and underrated instrument, and there're lots of great bassists out there.
    I could never really feel what I was playing with the guitar, I didn't like being in the limelight; I wanted to stay behind and I wanted people to feel what I was playing without being in their face, I felt that I can totally express myself by playing bass.
    I now play in a pop punk band >_> though what I really want to play is Funk and Bebop.

tl;dr: bass is good.
    -life story aside, I joined talkbass because I KNOW that interacting with other players can help me grow as a bassist, and I hope that you can welcome me even though I bored you all to death. :)
    here are my guitars,
    Benjamina
    23823_1403294801630_1210162104_31162863_3054193_n.
    and Jacky
    23823_1403294881632_1210162104_31162865_4094697_n.
    Well, they're not really mine, they're my dad's... but a guy can dream, can't he? XD

2. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    Welcome to this community. I have visited the Philippines a few times, traveling mostly within the Central Visayas on Cebu, Bohol, Negros, and Leyte. Your country is one of the friendliest I have visited, and Filipinos seem to smile and laugh very easily.

One thing that really stood out, is the high level of musicality and musicianship of the many cover bands that I heard there. Great singers from PI, as well. It seems that all of the cover bands there try to sound as close to the original recorded hit song as possible, with regard to notes and tones. Many of them come amazingly close to the originals. Cover bands in the USA tend to interpret the songs they cover in their own style, and to take a lot of liberties with just about everything other than the defining melody or chorus.

Do you know the music of the Juan de la Cruz Band ? They were a great original rock band from PI that was around during the 1970's. I have copy of their album, Himig Natin, and they rock!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_de_la_Cruz_Band

Is this band remembered and still listened to in the Philippines today? What are the names of some cool original Philippine bands that you like?

Just keep on playing that bass!

3. malayayu

malayayu

Nov 1, 2010
    wow, that's like, really humbling... :smug:

i prefer adding my own flavour in my music over copying the exact thing. i find it hard to memorize songs, so i mostly improvise and add more substance to the songs that i play.

most of kids here in the philippines, I think, have no knowledge of the phillippine bands of the past, and most would say that today's OPM is dead and disappointing; choosing mainstream, foreign music instead of music from their homeland, which is kinda disappointing. i know some people who don't like OPM because they don't like the sound of our language.:scowl:

the current fad for most kids today is KPOP, the preference of bands in music scenes is death metal and screamo, while the preppies we'll be playing for at an all girls' catholic school next month prefer pop punk. i want something more intellectually stimulating, but it seems that i have no choice but to go with our vocalist's desire to be popular with the chicks. :rollno:

i REALLY want to go overseas right now, go somewhere larger, with more opportunities and prespectives.:bassist:

4. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    Well, think about what you are saying.....if the original Phils rock scene is dead, that means there is opportunity. In a lot of places there are tons of original groups competing for attention, but not so in PI. I see a country hungry for a new thing musically. You are 16. Start a new thing that is just you being you. Find some friends and start your own band. Do you live near Manilla or Cebu? PI is ready for real home grown rock.
    Check the Juan de la Cruz Band music. I'm pretty sure that the records are all out of print, so it isn't unethical to get it as a bit torrent.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5339023/Juan_dela_Cruz_Band__Himig_Natin_Album

Juan dela Cruz is to the Philippines, what Uncle Sam is to the USA. Is the icon of Juan dela Cruz still a part of Philippine culture?