1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hi guys and gals!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AcidSheep, Mar 14, 2008.

1. AcidSheep

AcidSheep

Mar 14, 2008
    Hola. :hyper:
    I've now come to the conclusion that I am to start participating on these boards. I have been around a bit on another account which I forgot the password AND the user name to. I never actually posted on that account so it doesn't matter much though.
    I just observed, if you will. :cool:

A little bit about myself, just for the hell of it:
    My name is Tore, which probably sounds a tad far fetched to some of you. Well, it should, it's Norwegian. At least I think it is. I'm pretty sure I've heard it's supposed to derive from Tor, or Thor, the old god of thunder in germanic and norse paganistic religions. Strong fella. But enough about my name, even though it wasn't very much.

I've recently turned 19, but I still feel 17. Yesterday a kid reached for my groceries in the store and his mother giggled and told him that it belonged to "that man", and pointed at me. I was terrified. I mean, being a man comes with great responsibility, and I don't feel I'm quite cut out for that yet. I'm still a kid!

------------------------------------------
    Q: Where did I sign up for this rabble?
    A: Ok, ok, I catch your drift. I'll sum the rest of the very essential information up in a most respectable way.
    ------------------------------------------

19, Norway, 4 year old bassist.
    Listen to: Rush, Tool, Camel, Jaco Pastorius, Opeth and so forth.

That's about it. ;)

Oh, oh!
    Read on a bit further. I almost forgot this.. I'm in dire need of some advice.
    Here goes. I've always sucked at earning and saving money, so I'm still stuck with my old starter Hondo P-bass copy. :rollno:
    I mean, I love it, but it sucks. So I need a new one, for a reasonable amount of money. Also considering the fact that stuff like instruments is devastatingly expensive here in Norway.
    I've been mainly looking on Mexican-made Fender J-Basses, but I don't really have much of a clue so I don't want to act without being in possession of the needed knowledge, so to speak.
    As I said, I'm on a budget. I can't really spend much more than 5-600$. Yes, I'm poor. I'm trying to get a new job though.

Anyone wants to lend a tiny hand to a dimwit like myself?

P.S
    Sorry for the rather long post.

:bassist:

2. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Welcome, and don't step in OT on your way in, you could get rabies or something.

MIM Fender J's are good basses, not a bad choice at all for a second bass. What kind of stuff do you play?

3. AcidSheep

AcidSheep

Mar 14, 2008
    Well, a little bit of everything right now, as long as it sounds good and groovy. Gonna focus on jazz/prog/fusion from now on though, even though I'll be playing mostly straight out rock with the odd Pink Floyd song with my band(s).

4. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    The J bass would be absolutely fine then. Just make sure you play the one yer looking to buy. Some MIMs (though not many, it seems) can be duds.

5. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I'll second the Mexican Jazz. In my opinion it is hard to find better at that price range.

6. AcidSheep

AcidSheep

Mar 14, 2008
    Alright. Will most certainly get a MIM J then. How are the fretless ones? Been drooling after a fretless bass lately. Might get a fretless one later though.

7. AcidSheep

AcidSheep

Mar 14, 2008
    Been using my P bass-copy a whole lot, and I've come to realize how hard it is to play on it, and how heavy it is. God, I need a new bass.

So, fretless MIM J's. Good fretlesses?

8. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    dunno about MIM fretless, never played one.

and, yeah you'll be ok with a jazz, but if you're gonna be playing prog stuff, I'd recommend getting an Ibanez instead.

check out the Ibanez SR500 (or SR505 if you want a 5 string). EXCELLENT basses. They only cost about $550 (in America anyway), and they can do jazz just fine as well. out of every bass I've ever tried in my 7 years of playing (and that includes multi-thousand dollar boutiques), the Ibanez SR505 is still my favorite out of all of them.

9. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    Aha, more Scandinavians. :) My uncle had a dog named Torsti though he also was called Tore (I just looked it up, both names have to do with Thor). He was a member of the family, my Finnish cousin. Died a few years back though. :(

Anyway... bass suggestions? The only thing I'm able to suggest is a Peavey T-40, since that's the only one I currently own and really know about. They're usually under $400 US, and mostly between $200 and $300. I've only been playing for about a month now, so I don't know if I'm much help in this.

10. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Hi and welcome. G&L Tribute series may be worth a look too. I have a JB-2 that I just picked up and my first impressions are WOW for an overseas made bass. It has a Jazz Bass pick up setup with the intuitive Volume Volume Tone. I think they may be a little pricier than MIM Fender Jazz but under $5-600 USD. The place I bought it from had some wiggle room in the price which is a question I always ask, so you should ask too when you are at an instrument shop. The deal I got I'd say was comparable to MIM Fender.

G&L L2Ks and L2500s are quite popular for their versatility. I'd love to own an L2500

11. AcidSheep

AcidSheep

Mar 14, 2008
    The Ibanez intrigues me, no doubt about it..
    Thanks for the responses so far, and the welcomes. Would love some more input, and I don't mean that homosexually. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

12. Welcome, AcidSheep!

I'll chime in:

This may sound a little obvious, but the MIM fretless Jazz basses play just like the fretted ones, only without frets. :D

Seriously though, I had one but, alas... stolen from my church. I put a set of D'addario Prisms on it for a nice, not TOO bright sound. Add a little chorus and whammo, a sweet, singing tone with a little bit of growl.

If you're looking for a good (not too expensive) entry into fretless bass, a MIM fretless Jazz wouldn't be a bad way to start.

I didn't play it all that much, but I defninitely miss my fretless. I've been eyeballing the Squier Vintage Modified fretless (see link). It's easy on the wallet, so I'm tempted to pick one up and do a number on the fretboard with some marine epoxy, ala Jaco. We'll see... ;)

Edit: D'oh! Here's the link: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Fretless-Jazz-Bass?sku=519637

5sg

13. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Good call on the VM Fretless. I have been plesantly surprised by all of the Vintage Modified series Squiers I've played. They seem like a great deal.

The fretboard on the fretless is already smooth as glass. It's something they call Ebanol. Felt synthetic to me, but who knows. You might find you don't need the epoxy at all.

14. I've heard some pretty good stuff about the VMs too, but it was the ebanol board and the fact that it comes with roundwounds that really piqued my interest.

I saw one yesterday when I stopped by GC to order an EHX Stereo Mistress. I would've played it, but there was a j@cka$$ guy who was there just to make noise and was CLEARLY not a bass player. He was plugged into an 8x10 Ampeg and just kept turning up the volume... and the treble control. :scowl:

I did take a look at it though... the first thing I looked at was the fretboard, which did show signs of being played with rounds. You're right, the fretboard looks a little synthetic, but I still want to go back and see how it sounds/feels. $279 is just too tempting a price. D@mn G.A.S. :D lol

5sg