Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hi guys.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris Brodowski, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Hi. I'm new to this board. I have been playing the "6-string smaller thing :D " for a while, but I am looking to add my first bass. I am not looking to spend a lot of money, but I am looking for a quality instrument. Here is the ideas i had in mind:

1) Fender Mexican P-Bass (used)
    2) A good used Ibanez, like the BTB-400, EDC700, SR480, etc.
    3) Maybe a Peavey.

If you guys have any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot. :confused:

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    howdy! :D

i'd say that you may dig a mexi-fender, although i would just go new. i would also go for a mexi-fender jazz bass - the string spacing is closer at the nut, which may make things a bit easier for you since you played guitar.

another low cost option for you to consider is the danelectro 6 string baritone guitar - the tuning is an octave lower than a regular guitar (the 4 low strings are the same strings as are on a bass) but the tuning is e-a-d-g-b-e, and the string spacing is tighter than a bass - it was made in the early 60's for guitarists who needed to double on bass. you can find them pretty cheaply, i think, probably comparable to a new mexi-fender jazz. they also sound pretty good too.

jerry jones makes one too.

3. Like JT, i also recomend you go with a new MIM Jazz, and not P. Simply because the difference between a new and used MIM is generaly around $35-$50, and a lot of the times your better off going with new. Also, if you get a new MIM Jazz bass you get the new pickups they put in it, and its hum-canciling, where the old Jazz's arnt.

IMHO you should go with the J like JT said because the spacing at the nut is thinner, and the neck profile is a lot thinner than the P bass, which is a lot easyer to play on IMHO.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im in agreance with the other 2 guys here about the mim J. there isnt much of a price difference between a new and used one, If you decide to go with a j bass, id recomend the mim dlx active over the standard mim, it has better pickups and etronics, and imo a better tone than the standard mim J's do.

5. :oops:

I was already planning on replacing the pickups of whatever bass i bought. Now that i think about it, I much prefer the sound of a J-Bass to a P. (despite the fact I mainly listen to metal, punk and ska.) I like a warm sound that still cuts through, which is why I was thinking of Bartolini replacement J-Bass pups ona Fender J-bass, what do you guys think?

Thank you very much for the replys. I really appreciate it.

6. for replacement j pickups, you might want to look at Bassplayer.com who did a HUGE J pickup replacement shoot out, they basicly tell you everything you need to know about good replacement pups.