1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hi guys.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris Brodowski, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Hi. I'm new to this board. I have been playing the "6-string smaller thing :D " for a while, but I am looking to add my first bass. I am not looking to spend a lot of money, but I am looking for a quality instrument. Here is the ideas i had in mind:

1) Fender Mexican P-Bass (used)
    2) A good used Ibanez, like the BTB-400, EDC700, SR480, etc.
    3) Maybe a Peavey.

If you guys have any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot. :confused:

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    howdy! :D

i'd say that you may dig a mexi-fender, although i would just go new. i would also go for a mexi-fender jazz bass - the string spacing is closer at the nut, which may make things a bit easier for you since you played guitar.

another low cost option for you to consider is the danelectro 6 string baritone guitar - the tuning is an octave lower than a regular guitar (the 4 low strings are the same strings as are on a bass) but the tuning is e-a-d-g-b-e, and the string spacing is tighter than a bass - it was made in the early 60's for guitarists who needed to double on bass. you can find them pretty cheaply, i think, probably comparable to a new mexi-fender jazz. they also sound pretty good too.

jerry jones makes one too.

3. Like JT, i also recomend you go with a new MIM Jazz, and not P. Simply because the difference between a new and used MIM is generaly around $35-$50, and a lot of the times your better off going with new. Also, if you get a new MIM Jazz bass you get the new pickups they put in it, and its hum-canciling, where the old Jazz's arnt.

IMHO you should go with the J like JT said because the spacing at the nut is thinner, and the neck profile is a lot thinner than the P bass, which is a lot easyer to play on IMHO.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im in agreance with the other 2 guys here about the mim J. there isnt much of a price difference between a new and used one, If you decide to go with a j bass, id recomend the mim dlx active over the standard mim, it has better pickups and etronics, and imo a better tone than the standard mim J's do.

5. :oops:

I was already planning on replacing the pickups of whatever bass i bought. Now that i think about it, I much prefer the sound of a J-Bass to a P. (despite the fact I mainly listen to metal, punk and ska.) I like a warm sound that still cuts through, which is why I was thinking of Bartolini replacement J-Bass pups ona Fender J-bass, what do you guys think?

Thank you very much for the replys. I really appreciate it.

6. for replacement j pickups, you might want to look at Bassplayer.com who did a HUGE J pickup replacement shoot out, they basicly tell you everything you need to know about good replacement pups.