Hi, I’m <name goes here>, And I’m A Mod-Aholic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ejaggers, Mar 2, 2012.

1. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Hi, I&#8217;m <ejaggers> And I&#8217;m A Mod-Aholic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

None of my basses are stock, and sometimes, I don&#8217;t know when to stop. I&#8217;m an addict and need help!!!

1) &#8217;67 Fender Coronado:
    o Lindy Fralin bridge pup (repair)
    o New frets (just flat out talked into this)

CIIbodyE.jpg
    2) &#8217;72 Fender Jazz
    o Refin natural to burnt orange w/ matching head stock (years ago)
    o From white to tort PG
    o Lindy Fralin PUPS
    o Threaded Bass Bridge Saddles

Jfull01.jpg

3) &#8217;97 Peavey Axcelerator
    o Replaced volume and stacked tone pots (repair)
    o From ugly antique white pearl PG to tort
    o Considering a preamp upgrade to fatted up tone

AXbodyE.jpg

4) '06 Epi Thunderbird IV
    o Chrome Gibson TR cover
    o Chrome PG
    o Chrome tuners
    o From black witch hat to Chrome top hat knobs
    o Considering chrome bridge
    o Considering different strap buttons

TbirdFull2.jpg

5) &#8217;03 Squier Affinity Precision (Now here&#8217;s where I got addicted)
    o Hipshot drop D tuner
    o 50&#8217;s Fender Precision decal sealed with satin acrylic
    o Custom nut crafted from dear antler
    o 60&#8217;s RI electronics
    o Dome Precision knobs
    o Precision Ashtray Bridge Cover
    o Aluminum tape shielding
    o Limited Edition Custom Series Neck plate with serial
    o Switchcraft output jack
    o 3-ply Parchment Pickguard
    o Lindy Fralin pup
    o Considering different color body or refin
    o Considering fret work to make neck perfect

Pfull3.jpg

2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Dang.. that Jazz looks delicious.
    I did very similar mods to an old Squier series Precision I owned..
    Gave it to a friend of mine's son.. it was really the only way to stop dropping money into it!

3. colcifer

colcifer Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Send your basses to me-I'll keep them safe from you!

4. JoeBuffallo

JoeBuffallo

May 2, 2007
    Wappingers Falls NY
    Sales, Alto Music
    All Beautiful. There are worse things you could spend money on.

5. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Oddly enough, I kept finding deals for the Squier, i.e. $60 Fralin pup, $15 Handmade Dear Antler nut installed, I think the luthier was using me as a Guinea pig on this one. $15 tuners, $30 PG, and $9 TR cover for the Tbird.

I don't get rid of anything except amps, and I especially love my Squier because of the work, but I need to do something, because I'm JoneZin' for a new body or refin. I may try refin myself.

Thanks for the offer, because I realize I do need help! But a better idea would be for you to host a Mod-Aholics Anonymous meeting once a week here on TB.

*** I also started a thread about modding an EB0 which I might buy today. Somebody Help!!!***

6. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Has Anyone tried these Flush Mounted Output Jacks????

Black Guitar Cylinder Output Flush Mount Jack 1/4" Guitar Parts | eBay

I read a review somewhere that they don't hold your cable in very tight, and I've been thru that using a regular radio shack jack on my P before I went to a switchcraft. Anyway, I was thinking about one for my Tbird.
    ********I think they look pretty cool.************

What do you think, Black or Chrome???

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I've modded pretty much every bass I ever owned with a couple of exceptions. I am trying real hard not to do anything to my newest bass. :help:

8. My 50th anniversary P is the only one I haven&#8217;t personalized (modded).

For some odd reason it seems to be &#8220;just right&#8221; the way it is.

MM

9. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    LOVE the look of that T Bird, I've been thinking of doing a custom T Bird for a while and I liked the metal truss rod covers/pickguards I saw on the internets, but I never saw them on a bass until now, awesome! Where did you get that pickguard? I'm wondering if I can get a custom one with a different animal cut out.

10. Bass Mod Anonymous step one: Admit you have a problem.

Step two: Enjoy your problem! It's not a problem unless you live in a cardboard box.

:D

woodyng2 likes this.
  11. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    The only bass I own that is unmodded would be my StingRay. It is perfect as-is, no improvements necessary. The only mod to my Precision is an added thumbrest, which is obligatory to any Fender IMO.

Now, I used to mod the living crap out of my basses. Constantly swapping pickups, necks, bodies, bridges... And these were always CBS-era Jazz Basses. Aside from the aforementioned thumbrest, I never felt the need to mod a Precision.

12. Mykk

Mykk

Aug 22, 2010
    Prescott, AZ
    Hi My name is Mykk, and I'm a Mod-aholic.

I have spent the last twelve years working in the automotive industry, specifically Hot Rods and Custom cars. I've built several cars over the years and a couple 600+ HP engines. A few years ago I started a small automotive business that custom writes the fuel injection and drivetrain computer systems in vehicles as a performance modification.

As you can see, I have a particular taste in modifying things mechanical. Take this same aptitude and apply it to basses. There's my problem :p

13. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    '67 Guild Starfire. First mod was the addition of a Badass bridge. Second was the addition of a pair of Bartolini triple coil pickups along with Bart electronics. After that I put in Darkstar pickups. Around this time I installed a bridge and tailpiece from Marko (including tone block under the bridge and a brass nut). Right after that, I added an ACG preamp with a filter for each pickups. Went back to the Barts for a bit and then installed a full on Alembic Series II setup (which I rebuilt basically from scratch). I replaced the original tuners in there somewhere, too, maybe around 4 years ago, with Gotohs.

Allen Woody gave me a bunch of grief when he saw it with the Barts and Badass. After he heard it he changed his tune.

That's just one bass. They are all modded!:bassist:

Attached Files:

• SF.jpg
      SF.jpg
      File size:
      160.7 KB
      Views:
  14. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I share the sickness..the closest thing I have to a stock bass is one made from the stock parts replaced on all my other basses..

UNICORN BASS likes this.
  15. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I would consider many of the "mods" I've done on basses upgrades or retrofits-

Upgrade...
    ....Sometimes a part fails and you decide to replace it with a part of higher quality, or maybe you are aware of components/elements of your bass which are prone to poor performance or failure and decide to be proactive. These type of changes generally don't require drilling a lot of extra holes, removing large amounts of wood or altering the appearance much.

Retrofit...
    ...From time to time a manufacturer/builder will alter their formula a bit, whether it be pickups, preamp, hardware or whatever. Sometimes it's possible to obtain these parts and install them directly, "without modification".

While these types of things could be considered "modifications", I would not worry or seek help. You are not sick or deranged, just well informed.

16. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Upgrades and retrofits are cool and all, but if at least a Dremel and/or a soldering iron aren't involved, it's probably not a mod.

My Modulus Q6 started life as a complete mod bass (started with just the neck and built the body from scratch and scrounged the parts) and has gotten more and more normal ever since I acquired a real Modulus body for it (although it started life as a Q5 body and got modded into a Q6 body). At one point the original body had a big door on the back and front panel with interchangeable preamps built into it. The mods finally spun out of control and I had to ditch the body. In some ways, it never sounded as good again.

17. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Thanks for the complement. Since that pic, I added a chrome bridge, and the fowl is looking pretty sexy. I got the PG on ebay.

Now That&#8217;s funny!!!

WOW!!! '67 Guild Starfire. How about some pics?

18. Only bass I own that isn't modded is my MIA Fender P, because there's nothing I can do to improve it!! It's perfect as is.

I have two other p-basses that are totally modded.

My Dillion 54 copy has ashtrays and covers, and I tolexed the pickguard. Also replaced the stock 2 saddle bridge with a 4-saddle threaded AVRI type bridge. Will be getting new pickup (a split P in single coil housing) when I get back from vacation. The stock pickup is just too noisy and renders the bass unusable. It plays great but the hum is out of control, even with shielding.

19. Hi everybody, my name's Feral Feline, and I'm a mod-aholic wannabe...

I just bought my first slab, because the idea to mod it came before I'd even ordered it, a sale came up and it hasn't even arrived yet.

My brain has plenty of modded basses, I can't shut off the flow of ideas. However, now that I have an actual bass on the way (well, two) I'll be able to finally follow my impulses. As time and money permits, I will follow through with my other ideas. For now, the first bass I own will be a Squier Jaguar.

First, I'm swapping necks between the two Jags and pulling the frets on the keeper; yuppers, a brand new bass and I'm going to yank those virgin frets right out. Then I plan to drill holes in the body for a string-through bridge and replace all the chrome hardware with black. The neck will be re-finned in black. Looking forward to modding it, then learning how to play it.

If I "build" it, will the voices stop suggesting new modifications?

PS, @ Ejaggers: love the burnt orange J. H E double hockey sticks, love the Coronado, T-bird – all your personalised basses.

All your bass are belong mod to us.

UNICORN BASS likes this.
  20. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Here's one. I'm still going to install a master volume just past the pickup selector switch. I just need to get the right 10k dual audio pot and an hour to do the install. I'm also thinking of redoing the filters with Wima caps, etc.

Attached Files:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021