Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hi! I'm new, but I have a bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Tattoo, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Tattoo

Tattoo

Sep 29, 2003
    Layton New Jersey
    I've been looking through this forum and there seems to be a ton of great information and knowledgeable people out here, (in here?), but I am now overwhelmed as to where to start!

Our friends got us into Bluegrass a few years ago, and now my husband is learning to play the mandolin. Our friend is learning to play the guitar, and there is a family member who plays the guitar and mando as well. Anyhow, I fell in love with the deep sound of the bass, and for my birthday on Sunday, we drove into Long Island, and I picked out a vintage Kay Upright. Some guy had nylon strings on it and used it for bluegrass we were told. We went in with a basic knowlegde of the UB's, and I think we got a nice instrument for the money. The fella who sold it to us had taken it in on consignment and told us it was a Kay, possibly from the 40's or 50's. There was no label inside, but it had tell-tale Kay thingee's on the top part (the screw like mechanisms that tighten or loosen the strings are small). (I still need to learn the proper terms for the parts!)

I have book marked that link to the Kay expert guy, so I am hoping I can email him some pictures, but the description of it is "tobacco sunburst" coloring, upright 3/4 size. I don't think we've been had or anything, as he gave a 30 day warranty/1 week exchange, but I would like to find out more info on year and model of the instrument.

Also, as I set out on this learning adventure-where should I start? I look at some of the reading music threads-really appreciated the "I know there is math in there" thread (math makes me cry...), but what to do?

Lessons are on the agenda by a local bass player in a bluegrass band, but for right now, until that is lined up...should I learn to read music, practice finger exercises? Lift weights? haha...

Thanks for any input...I know the more experienced people have probably seen many a newbie come on board...but that is the beauty of it.

This is my first attempt at a stringed instrument. Last attempt at anything musical was a flute in 6th grade...1978 or something like that...again, the math issue!

I know I can train a 2,000 pound Percheron draft horse to ride and drive, so surely I will be able to learn how to play some good bluegrass bass.

Thanks for your time, I look forward to seeing what you have to say.

:bag:

2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Welcome to the wonderful calloused world of DB! You made the right first move - getting a teacher. Next up you should fix up that Kay by taking it to a luthier. Any questions you have will be answered here for you by the members.

3. garron

garron

Jun 26, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Boss, The Plane! The Plane!

If I remember correctly, Bob Gollihur is from Joisey. He would be the man to see for an ID and a good set-up for your bass. If he doesn't see this post, send him a personal message, or go to http://www.urbbob.com/basslink.html, and you should be able to contact him. Welcome and good luck!