Hi! I'm new, but I have a bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Tattoo, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Tattoo

Sep 29, 2003
    Layton New Jersey
    I've been looking through this forum and there seems to be a ton of great information and knowledgeable people out here, (in here?), but I am now overwhelmed as to where to start!

Our friends got us into Bluegrass a few years ago, and now my husband is learning to play the mandolin. Our friend is learning to play the guitar, and there is a family member who plays the guitar and mando as well. Anyhow, I fell in love with the deep sound of the bass, and for my birthday on Sunday, we drove into Long Island, and I picked out a vintage Kay Upright. Some guy had nylon strings on it and used it for bluegrass we were told. We went in with a basic knowlegde of the UB's, and I think we got a nice instrument for the money. The fella who sold it to us had taken it in on consignment and told us it was a Kay, possibly from the 40's or 50's. There was no label inside, but it had tell-tale Kay thingee's on the top part (the screw like mechanisms that tighten or loosen the strings are small). (I still need to learn the proper terms for the parts!)

I have book marked that link to the Kay expert guy, so I am hoping I can email him some pictures, but the description of it is "tobacco sunburst" coloring, upright 3/4 size. I don't think we've been had or anything, as he gave a 30 day warranty/1 week exchange, but I would like to find out more info on year and model of the instrument.

Also, as I set out on this learning adventure-where should I start? I look at some of the reading music threads-really appreciated the "I know there is math in there" thread (math makes me cry...), but what to do?

Lessons are on the agenda by a local bass player in a bluegrass band, but for right now, until that is lined up...should I learn to read music, practice finger exercises? Lift weights? haha...

Thanks for any input...I know the more experienced people have probably seen many a newbie come on board...but that is the beauty of it.

This is my first attempt at a stringed instrument. Last attempt at anything musical was a flute in 6th grade...1978 or something like that...again, the math issue!

I know I can train a 2,000 pound Percheron draft horse to ride and drive, so surely I will be able to learn how to play some good bluegrass bass.

Thanks for your time, I look forward to seeing what you have to say.

2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Welcome to the wonderful calloused world of DB! You made the right first move - getting a teacher. Next up you should fix up that Kay by taking it to a luthier. Any questions you have will be answered here for you by the members.
  3. garron

Jun 26, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Boss, The Plane! The Plane!

If I remember correctly, Bob Gollihur is from Joisey. He would be the man to see for an ID and a good set-up for your bass. If he doesn't see this post, send him a personal message, or go to http://www.urbbob.com/basslink.html, and you should be able to contact him. Welcome and good luck!