Hi im new. gona DIY a bass amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by buliwyf, Jun 19, 2005.

1. buliwyf

Jun 19, 2005
    im not a bass player. im the guitarist in my band.
    well, the guys (band) sold they're stuff about 3 years ago, when we went to college separately, now we're forming the band again. so we need equip. and we're on a budget. bass amp = expensive.

i searched the forums already, got some handy infos :)

we're planning on DIY'ing a bass speaker cabinet. was just wondering what kind (not brand) of speaker to use. would it be a 2-way full range speaker? or can I use something like my car's 12" subwoofer? the plan is a ported, single speaker cabinet (12").

oh btw, its for rehersals and practice :) just enough loudness to compete with the band

2. well, id say, you might as well go used head and cab.

unless you know alot about construction, are good with wood, and know how to tune the cab, re inforce the walls and put in bracing and mount the speakers, wire them up correctly.

id stay away from the project if i was you. but if your set in stone on building a cab. eminence speakers. and depending on the tone you want, decide if you want a 15, 2 12s, 4 10s. etc.
  3. buliwyf

Jun 19, 2005
    i see. i'll have someone who does speaker cabs for a job help out, but he does speaker cabinets for car audio, which i think is much simpler. but his woodwork skills are great :)

for wiring and stuff, im not a guru, but i think i can apply my experience with guitar amps (and car amps too). plus its a learning experience too :)

about a 15 vs 2x12. what's your opinion regarding a single 12? :help:

i would love a used amp, but we cant find any (cheap) :( (we're not in the US). well there was this one, carlsboro, but its so beat :meh:
  4. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I'd have to say if you are on a budget to try to snag an Avatar cab. Very cheap and very good cabs for the money.

They also have special deals on Ashdown amps if you need an amp as well. Avatar recently has gotten international shipping through some euro company I forget which site it was though

Check them out before you build your own. You may end up spending more making your own than buying an Avatar.

I would reccomend a single 15 or a 2x12 if you are going to play shows but I'm a 15 kinda guy.
  5. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Just be aware about tuning the cab etc and everything else that goes with a cab. It's not as simple as putting a port 'here' and making a nice sized box that's seems to fit well. If you want a nice loud amp, you will probably end up spending just the same or more than what you would on a descent cab in the first place.

What about checking eBay? Where are you from?
  6. Seconded.

There are a fair number of non-USA's here who may be able to give you some tips re: used gear if we knew where you were from...
  7. buliwyf

Jun 19, 2005
    from the philippines.

buying stuff in $ kinda hurts :(
  8. buliwyf

Jun 19, 2005
    but again, ther are a bunch of local components here, and they're incredibly cheap. china stuff are also really cheap. cabinet construction, since we know the guy, will be virtually free.

and this will be a "temporary" equipment, for practice.

there's this 40w with 10" combo, the brand is "rage amp," i believe malaysia made? really cheap (something we can afford). but it cant compete with the marshall valvestate 8040 (40w + 12") that im using :(

also, a friend told me that he MIGHT source an amp (head, used, duno the specs let alone be it a beat pos amp). 12"'s (the local brands / dai-ichi china? brand new with warranty) costs under $35 here. thanks again :)
  9. Building a cabinet doesn't look all that hard- once you read up and study it. You need to be awear of how the bass speaker works, how tuning / porting volume effects the sound, wood types and construction affect the tone and so on,

I would recomend an Eminence Delta 12LF for a bass speaker, for a single cabinet you are looking at around a cabinet volume of 110l or 4ft cubed. They cost around $100US plus shipping, it cost me $80US to ship to Australia, and it got here in 5 days.
  10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Your options are to read two or three books on loudspeaker design, and build a half dozen cabs before you get it right, or go with an already proven design. Even if you go with a set of plans read a book on loudspeaker design first. Speaker building isn't brain surgery, but there is a minimum amount of knowledge required to get a useable result. Autosound experience doesn't translate to pro-sound, as the genres are polar opposites.
  11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Look around this site, there have been recent threads fom people who tried it themselves, got advice from others here who know what they're talking about, did it anyway, sank money into components, then posted that what they built sounded like absolute poo and farted out way too early.

Try to find something used, otherwise you're sinking money into the toilet. Car audio knowledge isn't going to get you anywhere in this area, unless you want a cab that isn't sensitive and will take more than 1000 watts just to be heard at low volume with minimal frequency range.