Hi!I'm new here.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by John Paul Jones, Dec 6, 2002.

1. John Paul Jones

John Paul Jones

Dec 6, 2002
    Just wanna say hello to all the bassplayers I can at once.Usually I'm the only one around me so I don't get to talk with many who do the same thing.

I've been playing Bass since I was 13 and now I'm 32 soon to be 33.I consider myself as a self taught player since I've done more research on my own than music lessons.However,I tried to take as much formality and apply it to my playing.

A few years ago I was in an accident which prevented me from playing and practice for about a year and a half.I was doing a gig here and there but had some pain to deal with and lost a lot of capability and severely became out of practice.

in 1998 until now I've been playing everything from originals to covers.Lately I'm in about 4 gigs and the music varies from Elvis to Modern Rock Deep purple ,Stones ,Zep etc.

My playing is acceptionally well but I'm not at my best ability and can't do the improv thing like I used to.Some songs my buddies put me on the spot by forcing me to take solos but I don't feel comfortible or confident even over 3 chord progressions.I do okay I guess but it's not like prior to my car accident when I was a more aggressive musician.This needs to change for me.

None of my bands rehearse.Nobody has time either.Sometimes we show up at the gigs and just play whatever is called.It's a challenge and somewhat adventurous but it pisses me off that when I play with so many good players we can make ourselves not sound very professional at times.Other times things just rock espically when we've played a tune a few times but everything could improve.

Lately I've been trying to learn all the tunes I play on a regular basis even if we do them different to cop some licks or whatever but this is so overhwelming at times I can't pick up the bass to start going over things that I've explored years ago.In fact,I'm bored with what I know and need to find a way to jumpstart that hungry excitement again.

I tried taking lessons from a great player who I learned a lot from but he wouldn't shove charts in my face like I wanted him to and just ripped in my face and spoke of his doom and gloom with music.

I tried to find other teachers for bass but all the great ones around here won't teach.My friends tell me I don't need a teacher but I think one could give me some new insight but I can't find one close by.Oh well,I guess I have to rely on myself like before.No problem.

Someone refered me to this forum and said that this place would be ideal for a do it yourself kinda guy so I'm looking forward to coming here and reinventing myself if this is possible here.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.Sorry bout' the long post.

Take care,JPJ
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    May I be the first to say, welcome to TalkBass! :)
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Hey John, welcome to the board. Glad that you're still playing even after the accident.
  4. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Welcome, you will find all the information on this site. You might want to check out some other forums, such as technique. If you become a supporting member, you can use the Talkbass Live Chatroom, where they are constantly talking about theory, technique, and always giving advice on how to improve.

Welcome to the family...
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
  6. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Welcome dude:)
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

This is a great site for playing, philosophical approches to playing better, and very good technical advice (musical and mechanical).

Welcome to TB. Watch out for us in Off topic. All kinds of stuff goes on there.
  9. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Welcome to TB JPJ!!!!!
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass.:) You will find lots of help in the Technique and General Instruction forums.

Please take a moment to fill out your profile so we can all know a little more about you.
  11. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    welcome here!

you rule!
  12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Now THAT'S a welcome! Welcome to TalkBass, JPJ!
  13. odie

odie Supporting Member

Is that your real name?? Or just a fan ?
  14. John Paul Jones

John Paul Jones

Dec 6, 2002
    Hey guys,thanks for the welcome mat around here.

I'll fill my profile out sometime soon.Right now just read my epic ranting post to get a general idea about me.:cool:

To sum myself up:

I play bass,believe it or not I'm an instructor with a bunch of students from the local stores I play gigs and collect sports memorabilia.These are ways I make a living.errrrrrrr.....um survive.

I'm just a local bass player in the Tri State/New England area who wants to get my craft back in shape.I'm from CT to be specific but usually my gigs are based in these areas.

Did I mention that I like JPJ?:D

Thanks again for the introduction.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey there

welcome to talkbass.
  16. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Welcome to talkbass bass buddy.:cool:
  17. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    welcome aboard JPJ.....

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Hey, I'm from the insurance state myself; Norwich to be exact. Whereabouts are you from?