Hi, im New to the Forum

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JamesBass, Feb 16, 2004.

1. JamesBass

Feb 16, 2004
    Hi guys, im new. This forum has helped me out quite a bit recently. I thought I would join and introduce myself. I'm James (or Jimmy), 17 years old, and have been attempting to play bass for a little over 3 years. I have had a bad habit to just put the bass up and not touch it for almost half a year though. Until recently, I havent played bass for a little over half a year easily. So, I do not think I am very good at all. I recently just scored a GREAT deal on a bass I couldnt pass up. Its a 1997 Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass. The guy before me barely played it, and it was modified a bit before he bought it, converting it to passive electronics from, the standard american series, and exprimenting with a Gotoh bridge. The original bridge is back on now with the passive electronics. I run it through a crappy Peavey practice amp that I truly hate.
    I hope to make alot of friends here and learn MUCH more about bass, I really like to play. My problem is I just get bored playing bass alone, not too many friends play music around here. And I also have had no real instructors, which I would really like to find one. Anyways, I just thought I would say hi and tell about myself a bit. Feel free to chat with me, my AIM addy is JimmyNX2000. And im open for advice or tips on anything. Peace!
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Screw the intros, where the hell is my "tribute"?!

Welcome to the site. :cool:
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Welcome to TB Jimmy, and congrats on the new bass. One of the best (and quickest) ways to improve on the bass is to find other players to play with. It is unfortunate that you don't know of many people in your area, but I'd try looking for players at local music stores, schools in your area, and maybe a local paper or on-line forum that has music classified ads. If not, just try playing along to CDs or the radio for fun, and before long, you'll be ready to join a band, start writing music and playing live. :D :hyper:
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Like JPJ said. There are folks lookin' for a BAss guitarist, and you'd probably work well for them. Or, put up your own ad. You'll be surprised how much the phone will ring.

By being a member here, you'll get better at playing, and get better gear. Why? It just happens. I had an O.K. bass and skinny amp, and very little money. Thanks to encouragement from the folks at TalkBass.com, I now have good amp, good bass, and gigs!

I did have to work at it though. :bassist: