Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hi im NEW!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seungkoo, Nov 20, 2003.

1. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    hi im new to the forums...im currently shoppin around for a new bass and i just ordered a fender jazz deluxe 5 MIA....and im pickin it up tommorow. question does fingerboard have different tonal varieties on a fretted bass? i chose to get a Pao Ferro board on my fender but now im kinda hesitant as i was lookin at a guitar with a maple neck and same body color (candy Tangerine) and it looked so beautiful...wut do youg uys think should i make guitar center order me another bass from fender wtih a maple neck or keep pao ferro

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Welcome to Talkbass!!! Fingerboards DO have an impact on tone, and you'll find a TON of threads dedicated to the topic by using the search function of the site. However, even though Pau Ferro is a dark colored wood simiar to rosewood, it tends to have brighter tonal properties similar to maple. While pau ferro is not AS bright and crisp as maple, it is brighter and snappier than wood that belongs to the rosewood family...Indian rosewood, Brazilian rosewood, Coco Bolo, etc. That should help you decide whether what you have will work for you and your individual tonal needs. Good luck! :D

3. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    well i get to pick up the bass tommorow, got a call sayin it came in and im gona play around with it and see if i like it or not..thx for reply

4. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i think you got a good bass. and unless you're looking for a super bright "marcus" type of slap tone, the pau ferro will serve you well.

congrats on the good bass, and welcome to TB!

5. Welcome to TB!

Post a few pictures of your new bass when you get it, we love to look at them!

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. Hi, you may want to read the NEWBIE LINKS located at the top of the forum. They contain links that are of interest to new bassists. Lots of topics are covered, you can learn a lot.

It also covers the SEARCH function which is your best friend when you want to learn about something.