Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HI I'm New

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 39Reasons, Sep 16, 2004.

1. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hello I'm new to the boards. A little frustrated with my tone want to learn more about my instrument to become a better player. Figured this must be the place. In a band called 39 Reasons in Los Angeles that should explain my user name. There are no actual "reasons" other than it sounded cool.
    Thanks,
    Joe :bassist:
    www.39reasons.com

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcome, reasons.

You sound like the restaurant customer who told the waiter, "I don't know how to make soup, but I know I don't like this soup." (However, you certainly have enough basses to get diverse tones).

One thing you can do is learn about woods. Try going to this site - http://www.mtdbass.com and click on the article listed on the right hand side titled "The Quest for Tone." It is in layman's terms and doesn't require a Ph.D. in wood tech to understand.
    But keep in mind - those are generalizations. A fine piece of tonewood in the wrong hands won't realize it's potential.

Secondly, pickups/preamp. I suggest you take a look at - http://kingbass.com/pickups.html BUT please keep in mind that his take on those pickups only reflect his opinions. However, they are educated opinions.

Hardware, construction techniques, finishes, etc. are something you might want to refer to the experts in TB's "Luthiers Corner." Those members make fine basses.

After that, I guess we're talking about amps/cabs.

The upside is - you're in LA. That means, to me, you should be able to try out all the latest gear and see if something gets you closer to your dream tone.

3. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Damn Now I want some Clam Chowdaah!
    Thanks so much for the tips!! yeah I have a few different options for basses and they are nice basses and I use them respectively on differen't songs for different reasons. I just still haven't found that "Holy Crap this is what I was looking for" tone yet. I want the listener to hear the lower notes and the higher notes with equal dynamics. Or when (if) I come up with a cool hook it's more "up front" without taking away from the song and being too up front. I've been playing the Spector alot lately for the active punchy pickups that's close to what I think I am looking for but there's something missing. I use the two fenders for more of our "acoustic or jazzy sounding" songs. Has anyone ever said "yes! that's it! that's the tone I was looking for"? Or is it just an endless search cause your mood changes etc.
    Anyway I'm off to read about wood!
    This is cool thanks again!
    Joe

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah, Joe, many of us do it about every 4 months when the "newest and greatest" sounding bass/rig comes out.

Me ??? I've learned over the decades that the inability to get the tones I want is more about me than the gear.

Not to disrespect you - there are times you just have to unload what isn't "getting you there" any longer and buy some newer gear/technology.

Funny though - it's not unusual these days to see some guys are dumping their active basses in favor of high-end passives. The Marketing powers are pretty effective.

5. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Haha my band played at Studio Suite on the 4th. Looks like you guys play there a lot.

6. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey small world hah? Cool! Yeah we just like playing in a non stress non "pay to play" environment. I'm sure you can relate! So we booked these two weekends in row to keep us fresh.
    I checked out your site I played Webers a year or so ago with a different band the food's great! Thought they went more into the dance route? Must be having bands again, ( :p obviously). I will try to make it out sometime!
    Rock On!
    Joe

7. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, for starters, the easiest way for me to mix it up with my tone is to change my technique. Try playing at the end of the fret-board for a old school sound and things like that. How is you vintage P? I could take it off your hands. ;)

There is one certain thing I can tell you. When you are happy with your tone, you will enjoy playing much more and you will also play better. After I got my ASAT, I was on cloud nine. I have had it for 9 months now, and the honeymoon should be over, but it is not. I am truly happy with my main bass. About as close to heaven as a man can get. Now my amp and cab, that's a different story. :spit:

If you're not happy with your tone from those basses, go try everything you can get your hands on. You should be able to sell/trade any of it for good prices. I wish I had half of the selection you have in L.A.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I find it very difficult to be happy with my tone when I'm playing. OTOH, if I'm listening to myself on tape, I do often think "hey, that's a cool bass tone!"

IMO, the amp and speakers are far more critical to one's tone than the bass. Sure, the player is even more important, and I do encourage you to practice different techniques if you're so inclined. But there's nothing wrong with finding the gear that best matches your technique. F'r instance: few slappers would enjoy using an old Ampeg B15, but many fingerstyle players think they're da bomb.

9. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    id say im with scottie on this one. after i got my G&L sb-2, i havent needed to search for my perfect tone or bass anymore. it must be something about those G&L's, eh scottie?

[​IMG]

i guess thats what you would call a high end passive. i got rid of an 18-volt bass to get this passive bass. while i really miss the bass i let go, im much happier with this G&L. sometimes you have to make some changes and sometimes they make you happy, sometimes they just make you mad that you ever changed it. so, it could be in your bass, but it may be in your amp...or may just be the player. like scottie said, technique has alot to do with it. if you want a more treble-y sound, play closer to the bridge, if you want more low end, play closer to the neck.

10. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    There definately is something magical about most G&L's. They are probably the most versatile basses out there, because that is what Leo desined them for.

Fuzzbass, you hit the nail right on the head. I'm having issues with my amp and cab, mainly because it's the exact opposite of what I want. I would love an Ampeg SVT classis or vintage through a 4x10 or 6x10 Aggie or Mesa. However, I have actually had my swr for 4-5 years and the Amce Low B2 for as long. They sound great, just not what I want right now.

11. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    OK Now I'm starting to feel a little guilty bitching about my tone ;) The P bass is great I have flatwound strings on it right now to save the frets. Maybe I should throw some roundwounds on it to see if that makes a difference. She's my baby and does raawk but I keep her safe at the home studio mostly! I just would like have a nice crispy in your face tone. I have been researching since I posted and have a few ideas in mind. My next bass might not be a store bought one. I might have to step up to a custom. My amp is really nice too has a great fat sound I just need to learn how to dial it in better and research what all those knobs are actually for. :oops: That's why I am here asking around.
    You guys rock thanks for the advice!!
    Joe

12. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I looked up your amp, and it looks like it has a parametric EQ (sp?). Maybe have someone play with the EQ while you are playing. You might stumble on to a sound you love. I don't have any experience with Hartke products, so I can't really recommend what to do exactly. Here's an old chestnutt: Try a tube amp if you haven't already. I love tube amps and could probably trade my SWR for one. In fact, I would have already, but my cab is power hungry. I don't think that a tube head would work well with and Acme cab. You could try some seymour duncan quarter pound jazz pickups in your jazz. Maybe some Antiquity 2's or Dimarzio ultra jazz. I don't know, I'm really taking shots in the dark now.

Oh yeah, I live 90 miles from Lincoln in Nebraska. Even the stores there don't have that great of selection. Nothing compared to L.A. So don't give up on your search for tone. For most of us, it is almost never-ending, but most can be satisfied for at least 4 months. :D

13. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA

Booo pay to play. I see we are pretty much running in the same gig circles in the West Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley area.

We've gotten a couple requests to book a full night of playing but we don't really have a list of other bands to check on if we run into a 2+ hour block of time. I'll check your site and fire you off an email if I see that your band happens to be free on a night we can fully book.

Rock on :bassist:

14. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Awesome! absolutely that would be cool!
    Rock On!
    Joe