Hi impedance to low impedance

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by growlngrind, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Hey, can any of you tech guys out there tell me the easiest way to convert the high impedance signal from my passive electronics to a low impedance signal to run through several effects and a longer cable to my amp?

I have considered several of the outboard preamps like Fodera and the Bassbone, but they are pretty expensive. I have a Sansamp BDDI, and the manual implies that it does convert the signal, but I cant really tell. Is there any unit that just converts the signal without coloring it?

I use a passive Dingwall and I love the sound, so I don't want to change to active pickups. I have been using short cables ans holding off on buying any more pedals because I am worried about too much loss.
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Use very high quality cables. If you have a good bass and amp, they will make a noticeable difference in the sound.

3. Thanks, I have two Pro Co Black Jack cables on the way. That should help, or at least be an improvement over the cheap Horizon cables I have been using.

More suggestions anyone?? :help:
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If the first effect in your chain has a buffered input you're done. That includes your SABDDI.
  5. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    A DI, such as your Sans Amp does convert your signal to a balanced signal, however it is mic level, so unless you plan on going through a mic pre and then out to your gear you pretty much have to get an instument pre amp. Good cables will help, but any un-balanced cable becomes an antenna in some places, and at longer lengths. Having a buffered input does not balance your audio, it just makes the resistance correct for getting the best level throughout the piece of gear, most noticably in pedals.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    EMG makes a clean signal boost switch called the PA2.

It also changes your signal to low impedance.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep, two choices come to mind. One is using an active device of some kind, and the other is a DI with a line matching transformer. An active preamp won't change your sound "at all" if it's designed correctly, or you can have the additional flexibility of the active tone controls if you so desire. The transformer solution is intended more for studio use. What's your application?
  8. My main application is live performance with my amp as my monitor and main sound. I also run a direct line from either my Sansamp or my head for added support. I have been wanting to add several different pedals, like a synth, wah, Bassballs, etc., and I want to extend my cable length a little for added mobility. I am begining to construct a pedal board, and I would like to have something to put at the front of the signal path to prevent too much loss. Tone shaping would be a nice plus.

As far as tone controls go, I would like to have some type of swithchable mid control for going between fingerstyle and slap sounds. The blueEQube circuit on my Dingwall does this to some extent, but not quite what I want. Also, my sansamp has only bass and trebble controls. For all these features, the Fodera M2000 seems to fit the bill nicely, but it is over 300 bucks and my gear budget is allready getting overextended. :eek: