Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hi-mass bridge help a fretless?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tplyons, Jan 17, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Face it, the bridge on my MIM fretless jazz is dead and gone. I'm getting a new bridge.

What are the major gains out of slapping on a hi-mass bridge like a Gotoh or a Badass on a fretless bass? On a fretted bass it adds to sustain and harmonic content, which IMO is significantly removed on a fretless, so is there a point to adding such a bridge?

If I get one, what would you recommend? Or should I get an American Fender replacement?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'm sure the same results would be inherited to that bass, so I think mostly you have to ask yourself if you want more sustain and harmonic content, etc. etc.

To answer the last question, I've always been a fan of Hipshot bridges, and the one's on Spectors.

Ray

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I assume the results would come, but would be less noticable. Would the difference be worth the price tag?

And which Hipshots are drop in replacements?

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    IMO, it is worth the price, but that's me, I like my bass to be able to ring out over 4 bars :p.

I'm not sure which ones are direct replacements for Fender J, you'd have to ask someone who knew better, I was simply stating that when I could use a hipshot bridge (on the custom that'll be started soon, and on my ESP) I made sure to.

Sorry I couldn't help much!

Ray

5. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    FWIW, I just put a BadAssII on my SX. I can't say it did a lot, but I also switched from rounds to flats when I changed bridges... I will say that it's a more reliable bridge than the stock one, and there is a little bit more sustain. It also looks sweet. :p I don't regret buying it. I don't think you could go wrong with either bridge.

6. a high mass bridge ought to give it more sustain, due to more mass.

(forgot to add that in my reply up there...