1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hi...my bass is an...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by movielvr, Nov 4, 2013.

1. movielvr

movielvr

Nov 4, 2013
    Ibanez sn#m855086...two soap bar pickups...I don't see one on line wondering if you guys know about it...thanks1

2. Welcome to TB!

I'll apologize for any snarky responses you may receive.:meh:

Usually the model number is somewhere on the headstock near the serial number. Sorry I can't help other than to include this link so you can browse until you find your model:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/index.html

Good luck!

3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Post a picture and I'm sure one of us can identify it for you quickly.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    +1

5. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Ok, we really don't need anymore name calling folks so let's let that just die off, ok?

OP, lots of people here very familiar with Ibanez products. Let's see some pics and we'll get you an answer. Also, are you 100% sure the serial starts with M?

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hey movielvr. Welcome to TalkBass! As others have said, a pic would help a lot. If you can't upload a pic, any other details may help us figure out what you have there. Often Ibanez puts some numbers on the back of the head. Somewhere there will be a country of origin.

I entered your serial number into the web site www.gui****aterproject.org and got

this.....
    http://www.gui****aterproject.org/ibanez.aspx

The Ibanez serial decoder supports 14 factories and 7 serial formats.

Guitar Info
    Your guitar was made at the
    Terada Plant, Japan
    Production Number: 5086
    The Terada Musical Instrument Co., Ltd.
    The Terada Musical Instrument Co., Ltd. was established in 1912, at the beginning Terada was making Violins for Toy purposes, after World War II, around 1955 Terada started to make in earnest ‘Strings Instruments’. In the 1970’s they had three plants near Nagoya area and produced more than 10,000 guitars per month for Domestic market and also for Overseas market, but now 1/8 that amount today. The Terada factory is now building hollow and semi-hollow body guitars for Epiphone as well as their own 'Thumb' brand guitars. At one point made Tobias bases prior to Tobias being sold to Gibson.

Looking up the 1985 Ibanez catalog I found
    The RB bass
    http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1985/24.jpg

The Musician (MC)
    http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1985/31.jpg
    http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1985/32.jpg

Here's a link to all their vintage catalogs.
    http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/

Yours is bound to be there SOMEWHERE!

Happy hunting. Come back and let us know what you have!

7. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Nice. Good job, dude.

8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Been looking around those old catalogs. Fun stuff!

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

They reformatted a week or two ago and put "Ask a Pro!" right up top, including the Berklee forum. Now all the newbie members (understandably) think that's the obvious best place for their questions.

10. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    In the mid 80's the first letter usually corresponded to the month the instrument was built, that's why I asked about the letter M. Still interested in those pics :)

11. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Oct 29, 2013
    Edinburgh - Scotland
    I'm flattered, but you've never heard me play! :D

12. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I cleaned up the thread some. thanks.

13. Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass movielvr.

Thank You.

Regards
    Sam

14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I sent the OP a PM telling him to check back by. I hope the other guys didn't turn him off completely.

15. Good for you for reaching out. Nobody needs a jumping on like that, even long timers.

16. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I sure hope he comes back. Not to sound to stalkerish but his public profile shows the last time he was on TB was yesterday at 6:31 am - shortly after he got snarked at. There is no room for rudeness or snarkiness here on this forum.

17. hrodbert696

Agreed, and yet... it happens. TBers are human, after all. Not to beat a dead horse, but this is the second thread I saw where something was initially posted to Berklee that had no business there. The other one, a woman had just bought her husband some rack gear and wanted answers - NOW!!! - about how to hook it up before he got home. The "Ask a Pro" section should be named something else or moved back down the menu where noobs don't get drawn to it so easily.

18. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Good point.

19. hrodbert696

Of course, the OP probably also is wandering around the Berklee forum wondering where his thread went...

20. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA

If you want to destroy my sweater
    Hold this thread as I walk away
    Watch me unravel, I'll soon be naked
    Lying on the floor (lying on the floor)
    I've come undone