hi, my friend bought a bass and i thought it looked kind of weird is it ok

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by simdog, Jun 15, 2021.

1. simdog

simdog

Jun 15, 2021

Thought it was strangely cheap is it some sort of copy or fake but most importantly will it still be a good first instrument cause I want my friend to play and have fun personally I’m a guitar player and I made an account just to make this post but respect to you all :)

Attached Files:

2. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Briefly, it's not a Fender instrument. It's a pretty recent copy in the early Fender style, likely made somewhere in the Far East.

That doesn't mean it can't be made to play and sound good, as long as the neck is true and the hardware functional.

retslock, Jesuguru, TonyP- and 15 others like this.
  3. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Who knows what the deal is with that bass from that photo. It’s gonna be a fake or a Febder style instrument, but who knows if it’ll have a fender style headstock or what. It appears to be a bass though, so, neato! Hope he enjoys it and its really playable.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

At that price I doubt it's actually a Fender, unless the seller just doesn't know what they have and are unloading something that was in grandpa's attic (in which case, it's a find!). As others have said, more likely a knockoff of some kind. Maybe it's an optical illusion, but the control plate and bridge cover look wonky to me.

There are cheap basses that sound and play great, so it may be an excellent bass. I had a couple of SX basses in that price range that were great. Or it may be falling-apart crap. Won't know till you try it.

Aqualung60 and Black Out Jazz like this.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you're lucky it might be a Squier. No neck photo makes it impossible to know more.

butterfingers1, DJ Bebop and DirtDog like this.
  6. simdog

simdog

Jun 15, 2021

Here’s a photo of the neck and back the guy said he was 60 and switched to a mustang because of his back and had upgraded the pickups and electrics and I thought it was a safe buy because he has a purple star eBay account and he said he played on it himself and he sells other stuff a 60 year old would most likely (pottery and such)

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  7. simdog

simdog

Jun 15, 2021

this is the neck and back what do you think :)

8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Here's a real Fender telecaster bass headstock:

Fender_Vintage_1968_Telecaster_Bass_Guitar_Blonde_Used-3.jpg

The picture you sent looks like someone did an awkward DIY job trying to imitate it - probably cutting material off the more usual style - and applied a decal for the logo. You can see how the logo is crammed up to the edge of the wood at one point. The whole thing looks like someone's home project to try and build an old-style P-bass, and while I applaud people putting their hands to projects like that, I wouldn't have very high hopes that it's a well-built instrument.

pcake, PsyDocHill, Aqualung60 and 4 others like this.
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It could be a MIJ Fender or a Squier based on the truss rod access hole. Or something else entirely. That's helpful :laugh:

The decal isn't original, though. This is a real 1953 P-bass headstock (string tree and tuners non-original). The decal on the bass for sale is a decent copy of an original decal but sloppily applied.

IMG_0496.JPG

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Could be a kit build and certainly non-licensed fender decal. So, not a Fender. Wonky headstock cut. For 100 quid it might be OK.

tindrum and DJ Bebop like this.
  11. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Looks killer for a hundred bucks. Tell him to play the heck out of it.

12. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    If those are thomastik strings on that thing, then if it makes sound, it's worth more than the asking price.

Seanto, Winoman, DrMole and 2 others like this.
  13. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    In my opinion, anyone who would put a Fender logo on a bass that obviously is not a Fender cannot be trusted.

14. simdog

simdog

Jun 15, 2021
    Yeah the guy also mentioned he was in the music business and considering his hood rep on eBay I definitely don’t think it’s a scam just hope it plays well. Considering he mentioned that he switched out the pickups and electrics he probably knows somewhat what he’s doing so even if he didn’t make it himself it sounds like it was good enough to where it was his daily driver

JRA likes this.
  15. simdog

simdog

Jun 15, 2021
    good*

16. simdog

simdog

Jun 15, 2021
    1950s style P bass upgraded pick up & wires
    6 way tone selector
    stereo jack for noise free
    vintage mint green fleck pick guard
    D shape full scale
    neck pick up & bridge covers
    paint work in bad condition
    colour is a mushroom beige
    fender logo on headstock
    action is low & plays very well
    This was given to me a few year back when i left the music biz & wanted to learn bass.
    i now have gone to a mustang short scale that is a lot more lighter & shorter scale in my old age am now over 60 .
    it is just sittng around nice bass to use as is or strip to your liking

this was the exact description

DJ Bebop likes this.
  17. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I think the key word in the ad, is "style". That could cover the seller in passing off the fake. If it played well, and sounded good, I'd probably take the decal off and have fun with it.

Beej, tindrum, TinIndian and 5 others like this.
  18. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    As mentioned above, if those are TI jazz flats, your buddy did fine on the deal.

If it sets up and makes sound, that’s a bonus.

TheReceder likes this.
  19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:wideyed: ....or maybe you could trust that he had a sense of humor --- and/or that he just likes to have some fun with decals! ;)

Seanto likes this.
  20. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I guess you'll have to wait and find out at this point. No backing out, right? I would have chosen an economy model from a name brand to start off with, rather than look for a deal and toss the dice on being real/fake.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021