Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hi people, just thought I'd introduce myself

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by raycer, Mar 22, 2004.

1. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Hi,

I just started out learning the bass a few weeks ago. Some say I'm a bit old to start out (29) but it's something I've always wanted to do and never had the time before.

My gear isn't much but it's a start.

Metallic blue Squier P-Bass and and a little Ibanez amp. Hopefully the gear will improve as I improve :)

2. Hello, Welcome to TB

Your never to old to learn in my opinion.

3. Welcome!

I agree you are never to old to learn.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, welcome to one of the best bass communities on the web. I have been here a while, and I have loved every minute of it. I have learned so much from this site, and I am with bassman spike and B'Aces High. You are never too old to learn.

5. HEY! welcome to the world of bass where u never stop learning :bassist:

... unless ur dead...

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Welcome to TalkBass, and yes you have come to the right place.

I wish something like this was around when I first started.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hey, you're not RayCRX from the old "Atheists Online" chat room are you?

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Welcome to TalkBass.

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Welcome. Bass is fun.

Words of advice: You'll notice gear is a major focus of this community. Don't get caught up in the gear, get caught up in learning how to play. Good luck!

10. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Thanks for the welcome everyone :)

Nope, Munjibunga, I'm not RayCRX. I do not old a Honda. I own a Trans Am ;) I do use this username on a few car boards as well though.

11. What year TA?

I'm too old to learn. Or maybe I'm too senile to remember that I'm not too old to learn. I don't think I've learned much in the past 4 or 5 years.

12. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I second that.

Get a good setup on your bass, or have a good player play it and tell you it is ok. Strings too high are no fun. You may need new strings. Nickel strings will be easier on your fingers than stainless steel.

Start learning songs. One note at a time, one measure at a time. I use the Akai Riff-O-Matic to repeat 32 seconds of a song and slow it down. Some people here use Transcribe! software.

There is a new machine, the Akai CDBT-1 bass trainer, that will loop and slow down a CD, you play your bass into it. I have one. I use it for practicing songs I already know note for note, but I use the Riff-O-Matic for learning one small section at a time. The riff is quicker to use and has better buttons, the trainer does not have memory, it loops the cd, so I can loop a long part of the song, like one verse and one chorus, over and over...

I do not know how much power your amp has. When you start looking for a better amp, your next step might be a combo amp that has enough power to play with a drummer. There I go talking about equipment. Anyway, when people play together for fun or practice the drummer sets the volume, then the bass and the guitar come up to that. You do not need to play any louder. I even point my speakers at the drummer so he can hear me, and I only turn up just loud enough for that.

What type of music do you want to play?

Do you have friends who play bass or other instruments?

Tim99

13. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Thanks for the tips :)

Golden Boy, I have an 88 Trans Am. I'm swapping a crate 350 into it in a few weeks, and it needs some bodywork. I do have a mid 90s Trans Am partial interior in it though (seats, center console)

Here is a pic from last summer of it. It looks much better in pics that real life ;)

[​IMG]

14. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Is that you over on thirdgen.org? I'm LnealZ28 over there. Small cyber world, eh? :cool:

Here's my baby:

15. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    LOL, yeah I post occasionally there. I spend most my time at nethirdgen.org though :)

Small world it is :)

16. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Ray,
    Welcome to TB...it's a great resource and can be fun from time to time, too! :D As for your statement about gear...it's just a matter of time before the G.A.S. will start kickin' in. Keep practicing and have fun. ;)