Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hi, please help! 3 days to buy a bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanielleMuscato, May 6, 2005.

1. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    My name is Dave Muscato, bassist of SanSerif (www.sanserifband.com) and founder of www.FreeFiona.com.

I'm in Philadelphia until the 10th and I need a new fretted fiver. I want to buy the bass here because in my hometown of Columbia, Missouri, high-end guitar shops are... um, few and far between :)

I'm looking for something to compliment my custom-shop Washburn five-string fretless with rosewood board, zebrawood top, and Barts.

Our sound is heavy, funky, sometimes light and poppy. Think Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, Delirious?, RHCP, SRV, Dave Matthews' early stuff.

My favorite bass tones are Roscoe Beck's on Eric Johnson's G3 recording of "Manhattan," Stephan Lessard's (of Dave Matthews Band) on "Don't Drink the Water," and pretty much everything Flea has ever done.

Looking to spend between $1500 and $2500. I know that Flea and Stephan Lessard both play the Flea signature model from Modulus. What do you guys think of them?

Thanks!!

Dave Muscato

davemuscato on AIM

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

3. Id have to agree with Mr. Gomez. The Bongos are great sounding basses.

4. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    You can't go too wrong with the Modulus. They are fine basses. See what's in stock and try it out, as I've played different models with different pickups etc. for a wide range of tones.

5. DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Is it just me, or is the Bongo butt-ugly?

6. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I did got my BA's at the University of Missouri-Columbia! :D (sorry, nothing else to contribute :smug: ).

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

That's been the consensus among many here, but the tone is REALLY great, especially the one with the dual pickups, 4-band EQ and the piezo option. Hard to find any other bass with more tonal possibilities than a top of the line Bongo. Just play it in a paper bag or something . . . :D :bag:

8. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Hmm, wait a month or two, it may grow on you.

9. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Find a used or demo fbass and buy it right away. Fbasses have the widest range of tones avilable in the bass realm today....

Or you could get a couple of great used brands here for the sound you want. Modulus Quantum and Benevente Vintage Vortex, yummmm. http://www.thelowend.net/thelowend/index.htm

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hi, Dave - good to see you over here. (I'm an EffDeePee'er too.)

To play a Bongo is to love a Bongo; that said, I'm a big StingRay 5 fan. My main four has been a Sterling for several years now, and the SR5 is very similar.

I know SR5s aren't very "boutique", but they're damn fine working basses. One in (say) natural ash with a Abalone PG would be a nice counterpoint to your Washburn. You'd be a few bucks under budget, too!

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    mmm, Flea 5. :)

Nice. Or a Quantum 5 as well.

I really have to try out a Bongo, though. I was almost set on a Flea 5 until I started looking more into them. Only real reason I never bought an SR5 was b/c it didn't have 24 frets. The Bongo solves that.

But, like you said it's hard to try out new gear, a Flea 5 or Quantum 5, however pretty different, should feel great in your hands and give you the tone you're looking for, apparently. In my past experience, the Flea's take a decent bit of EQ'ing to get them to where they're really low and thumpy. 'Course, could've just been my amp- I still don't today understand ALL the EQ switches on that Mesa M2000! ;) Not that it didn't sound great, but whew!

12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    You will have to catch Bob when he doesn't have everything packed up and headed to a guitar show, but try going by Bass palace. Bob gets nice highend gear and depending on his stock at the time he could have modulus, Fbass, MTD, Smith, lakland etc., etc. for you to check out. You just have to catch him when he has a good stock load.

http://www.basspalace.com/

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'll cast a vote for the Bongo or the SR5 too

as far as the bongo being ugly... they are less so actually being played

here is Jack's (Bovinehost) Bongo & band live

One after 909

14. DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
  15. Superb choice... sweet looking bass. Modulus basses are top-notch in every way, but they really stand above the crowd when it comes to the neck. It is a engineering work of art!

If you have time, I (and others, perhaps) would enjoy hearing about other basses you tried out, what you liked/didn't like and why you choose the Q5.

Thanks,Richard

16. DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    No problem! I tried a Pedulla 5-string, a Modulus Flea, and a Gibson Tobias Signature.

The Pedulla has an uncomfortably short scale and felt gummy (I don't know how else to describe it). The strings were new, it just had too low action and no "spank".

The Modulus Flea was great, but the Quantum had more versatile tone controls. Also, the Flea has a pickgaurd, which I'd rather go without.

The Gibson Tobias Signature was incredible. It looked terrific and sounded very good. I liked the 9-piece neck and the neck-through-body construction, but I didn't think it was worth TWO Modulus Quantums (it was $5,000!) Thanks, but no thanks!

I also goofed around on a couple higher-end Fenders, but I've owned those and wanted something more versatile.

If I could change anything about my Modulus, it would be the finish. I prefer oiled-wood finishes to gloss, like my Washburn fretless fiver. Otherwise, though, it's a great instrument. I also wish the strings had ferrules coming up from the back of the body, instead of stringing both ends on top of the bass, just for more string-to-body contact. I love the pickups and the preamp, the tone controls and the layout of them, the string spacing, the fingerboard, the frets, the weight and balance, and the shape and look. It's great.

Thanks everyone!

Best,

Dave

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sweet! A little higher end than I was thinking, but nice!

18. DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Dude, that's half the reason I wanted it! It was $60 more than the FLEA fiver from Musician's Friend!! I paid 48% of the list price, including tax and case :)

19. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    look up Guitar Villa (in Quakertown and Nazareth/Bethlehem).
    John's got many choices in stock.

20. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    That's hot.

Makes me want one even more! :D Maybe for my next birthday, I'll get me one... ;)

I want it in dark translucent green, 5'er, EMG's, and gold hardware- whoa. :bassist: