Hi-power and versatile combo-madness?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tubster, Aug 13, 2004.

1. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain

Ok - here is the plan.....

Buy a hi -power combo -single speaker (light and powerful is very good)
    Combo for practice at home and band practice (R&B, classic rock etc) ADD a 2x10" or 1X15"for club gigs to compete in loudish rock band.

Which combo is going to fit the bill? (or is this idea complete cobblers?)

Would welcome ideas on: combo to buy, impedance and maker of cab, wattage etc or just feel free to shoot down the whole idea in flames!!!

Use a G&L L2k and '63 Pbass. BTW, replacing: Sunn 300T, Eden WT-800, Eden 410XLT and Yorkville cx-210. Budget c.$1500
  2. sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    I would try out the xs400t, I hear that it has a bone crushing bottom end and a tone of it’s own like no other.
    And if you want add the xc115 later.

3. Ya I would recomend any 2x10 combo then just add a 15 to it later
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Personally... I think its a tough task. Doable... but not many combinations out there.

COME ON, YOU PROS! Lay down the suggestions already! :bassist:
  5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    It may be pushing the upper limit of your budget but you may want to take a look at the Euphonic Audio Iamp800 combo.
    It's basically an Iamp 800 combined with a CXL112. 500w as is or if you throw another 8 ohm CXL112 under it, 800w!
    There's plenty of info around here about EA stuff, quality, tone, customer service, etc.
    They list for about $2200 but you can probably get a pretty good deal for close to what your budget is.
    Just my two cents.
  6. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    THanks guys....

Yorkville I would like to try but I do not know where I can try one in South Florida.

EA CXL 112-L I just sold. I had a single and tried it with the Eden and it was not man enough alone for practice. That said, I regret selling it as I have a chance to pick up another and 2 might do it.

15" is what I think I will be most happy with. I would like to try a Mesa Scout 15" and the Yorkville 400 with the 15". I do have a Yorkie 2x10 to put with it. Anyone tried either of these?
  7. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    Walkabout Scout 1-12 300 watts with 1-12 extension cab.
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There are three factors to consider with combos:

1. small and light
    2. loud
    3. low price

You can get any 2 but not all 3, you get to choose which 2 :meh:
  9. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    That's probably the best analysis i've seen of it.

A few combinations come to mind quickly:

1 & 2 = EA
    2 & 3 = Peavey
    1 & 3 = any cheapo with an 8" speaker

1 & 2 & 3 = your name is Brad Johnson :p
  10. Not sure if Ashdown will fit your budget...but there are ABM combos with loads of power, plenty of volume, and fairly portable, and can add an extension cab that might be what you're looking for!
  11. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Yes, the numbering system seems to go with small combos perfectly!

Has anyone tried the Mark Bass combo and/or knows the US distributor? Mmmmm......looks interesting.

A couple of votes for Ashdown too which is still under consideration.

Am even considering putting my WT 800 in a box with a Neodymium 12" or 15" or exchanging it for a WT 550 to save on weight.
  12. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Go to MAE, they won't have Yorkville in the store but Jeff may be able to help you find something worth checking out.
  13. has anyone tried out the Yorkie XS400 15" combo anyways? I've been looking around for amps.....tried out the Yorkville XM200 but that was only a tad louder and punchier than my TKO65. Also, The entire time I was playing, the Highs wouldn't go really far, and the bass EQ always seemed a little in the way. Always sounded like I was playing rap music or RnB, no matter how I approached my playing. Doubt'd be a matter of a different sound than my own bass. If I manage to get a decent recording of my own bass miked or direct (or both) could someone give me a pointer as far as an amp I could check out?
  14. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Thanks for the MAE tip Josh. I am just around the corner and know Jeff pretty well and am familiar with what they have in the store.

It is all those other things that MAE does not have that I want to try - typical!!

Great store MAE and great guy Jeff!
  15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd steer you towards the iAMP 800 combo, myself, although the Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout is also very much worth considering. In addition, on paper those Hevos Midget combos look pretty darn impressive.