Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hi there Mr. Manring, an old question I think.

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by worldhater, Oct 24, 2005.

1. worldhater

worldhater

Feb 2, 2005
    Hi there, I've been into your music since your apparition at the Jim Matheos solo album and after listening Equilibré I finally decided to go for a fretless, so thanks. It's probably a quite asked question but, I want to buy a 3 octave bass eather Zon Hyper or Zimmerly Silly, how much time took you to get use to play on the higher postitions, I mean, how hard is it? Is it really posible to play lines on it or is it more likely to do tricks/sound fx?
    Thanks in advance and congrats for the beautyful music your making and for the release of Soliloquy it kicks!!!!

P.S. Sorry if my English sucks, I'm from Chile, Southamerica.

2. Widener

Widener

Nov 21, 2004
    Aptos, CA
    I'm not Michael, nor do I possess even 1/100th of his talent, but I do own the Hyperbass, and I can tell you that it's very difficult playing actual lines between the second and third octave. If you practice enough, you can extend lower lines with a few arpeggiated notes in no-man's-land, but the notes crowd an area more narrow than your finger width, so it makes traditional scalar work damn near impossible. What that area IS great for is ebow. Plus, it's good for percussive right-hand stuff, tapping, strumming, slapping, etc.

Of course, it might be that I just haven't practiced hard enough. I'll hold my tongue until Michael comments. ;-)

3. worldhater

worldhater

Feb 2, 2005
    Thanx for answering! :) I would say I have less than 1/8 of Manring's talent so your opinion helps me alot. I thought it would be really hard to play at the upper, a 35" scale would make it a little easier I think, cos' the spaces are wider, but most important, do you enjoy playing on that no-man's-land, I mean, has it become an important resource on your playing, or you could go back to the 2oct standart without missing it?

Thanks again :cool:

4. Widener

Widener

Nov 21, 2004
    Aptos, CA
    For the solo bass stuff I do, it's invaluable. I can't imagine going back and playing without it.

5. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Your English is a lot better than my Spanish, world hater! Thanks for writing. Thanks also to Widener for providing such good answers. I agree that playing in the third octave of an extended fingerboard is pretty tricky. When Joe Zon and I designed the original Hyperbass we included that feature not so much because I wanted to play a lot of really high melodies, but because for a fretless instrument, we couldn’t think of any reason not to make the fingerboard as long as possible. The fingerboards of the instruments of the violin family are that long and there are folks who get around pretty well on those (imagine how tight the fingering must be on the third octave of a violin!), so I’m sure it’s possible for someone to master it if they put in the time, but it hasn’t been much of a priority for me. Nevertheless, like Widener, I’ve come to really like having the extra fingerboard length and prefer to have it on all my fretless basses. It really does open up some cool possibilities.

6. worldhater

worldhater

Feb 2, 2005
    Thanks! :) and you're right, if some musicians can play chords on a charango and full lines on a violin, then it would take only practice so, I'll go for one...after I get the money :D Thanks again and thanks at widener too.