Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hi to all!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 1ntegritie, May 21, 2004.

1. 1ntegritie

1ntegritie

May 18, 2004
    Torrance, CA
    I just wanted to first off introduce myself and ask some general questions. I'm Matt, and I'm a lefty! I've been playing a Squier (yes I know, it was a gift!) for about a year and a half now, and I'm slowly learning. I am kicking myself in the butt for not learning about this site sooner. I swear you guys are awesome when it comes to helping out and overall knowledge/experience. I commend you all for that. I just had a few questions...

First off, can someone explain generic bass amp settings? I can listen with my ears, but playing a not so greatly toned bass with bad electronics, and a small crate amp with not a whole lot of power, it all sounds the same to me! I was contemplating buying a simple 4 string MIM Fender jazz bass soon (after I pay off some debts =/ ), and was curious as to if that was the right way to go. I'm just looking for something that's good in quality with good tone. I mostly play rock, but am getting more into reggae and jazz. I know everyone has their own preference, but I'm just looking for a nice quality 4 string under 500 bucks that I can learn to pop and slap on. I also wanted a few suggestions on decent affordable amps (it's time to crank up the volume!). Last but not least, I was hoping for suggestions on what tablature to practice with that will help my fretting and build up endurance with my plucking hand. Any type of music is okay with me. I really appreciate all the feedback, and my email is kruxtrux@socal.rr.com if you have anything else to add! Thanks guys and I look forward to talking to you all :p

-Matt

2. Right on my brotha! Welcome aboard, though Im fairly new around here myself...Ive been playing a long time. First off...let me recommend an AWESOME....FREE...bass lesson website, its called cyberfretbass.com, and there you will find everything from basic music theory to actual lessons given by some great celebrities. And they give you notation, TAB, AND you can listen to the audio for each lesson as well. And did I mention its FREE?? Hahaha!
    Your tonal questions would be better answered by one of TB's resident audiophiles...there are quite a few here. And as far as a bass upgrade....I think the J bass you spoke of is a good choice. For the sake of shopping around, check out some of the Ibanez and Spector lines as well. They have some very nice basses at affordable prices.
    Best of luck to ya!