1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hi-Tone Amplification

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by D.M.N., Jun 24, 2014.

1. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've done some pretty thorough searching around the web on various gear sites, and while I've seen glowing reviews from guitarists, I've read hardly anything from bassists regarding these amps.

I recently stumbled upon Hi-Tone Amplification during my roaming across the web, and all I can say is that my curiosity is very much piqued. It's no secret around these parts that I'm a pretty dedicated Sunn...well, I guess addict really is the only way to phrase it, but I've always been quite keen on Hiwatt amps, at least everything I've ever heard played through one (never had the chance myself, they aren't the most common amps). While I still am infatuated with my Sunns, I was thinking about getting another amp to save some wear and tear on the old amps from gigging and the sorts (I still plan on gigging the Sunns, don't get me wrong, but an amp made in this century might serve as a nice alternate). It also probably doesn't help that I've been heavily into Glenn Cornick's work with Jethro Tull over the past month, and the man loved his Hiwatts.

I recently chatted with one of the owners of Hi-Tone regarding the HT200, their take on on the DR201, and by take, I mean about as dead-nuts accurate as a replica can get. So has anyone here had any type of experience with these amps. Good or bad experiences? Given that they essentially identical inside to the older KT88 DR201s, any Hiwatt owners can feel free to chime in with regards to tonality of these amps. How exactly do the two channels work together? I know people bridge them, I'd be running one pickup into each channel to be able to mix their levels. Anyone have good sound samples of the DR201 design? Demonstrating both channels, etc, there's not too many samples available on youtube. Preferred tubes, nea tips, cool tricks, whatever.

I already am well aware of the Reeves C225 and the high regard it is held in around here, but if anyone has any comparisons between the two, that'd be helpful. I'm not particularly considering the Reeves, as its feature set doesn't appeal to me in the same way as the Hi-Tones', and Hi-Tone seems quite happy to customize the HT200 even further (slave out, anyone?), but I'd like to hear if people have experience with both.

Images of the HT200
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    0032_zps226f4243.

2. D.M.N.

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bump. No one have anything to add?

3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    No experience here, but another TBer alerted me to Hi-Tone recently--he'd just picked up a used Reeves, but was previously looking at Hi-Tone. I looked over the site then. The endorsement from Dave Reeves' family is cool. But I don't know anyone who's tried their gear. Not a lot of details on their site. Wonder if they'd change the taps on the 200 to 2/4/8 ohms from 4/8/16? That'd help.

4. No experience here either, but that is some very nice work with their turret board and layout.

5. D.M.N.

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the replies, anyone else want to chime in?

6. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Anxious to hear more. I've tried the Reeves stuff and liked it lots. But, it didn't sound like my friend's vintage DR103 very much to either of us.