Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hi versus Low input jacks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MisterC, Jul 24, 2000.

1. MisterC

MisterC

Jul 24, 2000
    Bought a used Yamaha bass amp. It has two inputs, high and low. Both work, high is louder. Which one should be used for a standard bass guitar, and when would you use one vs. the other input jack. Thank you!

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MisterC:
    Bought a used Yamaha bass amp. It has two inputs, high and low. Both work, high is louder. Which one should be used for a standard bass guitar, and when would you use one vs. the other input jack. Thank you!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Low input is for a passive bass without an active pickup. I.E., no battery in the bass. Hi input is for a bass with active pick up. Generally speaking, an active bass will have a battery in the bass. My S.W.R. has these inputs labeled "passive" and "active".

By the way, welcome to T.B.

Frog

[This message has been edited by pkr2 (edited July 24, 2000).]

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Not entirely true. Just because a bass is active or has a battery powered onboard preamp doesn't necessarily mean it's any higher output than a passive. In fact, some passive pickups run hotter than some active systems.

OP, just use the louder input unless the signal is so hot you're clipping the preamp or don't have enough range of travel in the knobs to use them effectively, ie: they're too "touchy" between off and too much.

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The OP hasn't logged in over the last 13 years. :p

iualum likes this.
  5. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    ^^^possible thread resurrection record right here folks^^^

iualum likes this.
  6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If "high" is louder, it might be that Yamaha means it as "high gain" or something, and the other as "low gain."

If they intended "high" to mean "high signal level" or "high input sensitivity" (e.g., for most typical active basses--though not all) and "low" to mean the opposite (for most passive basses), then the "high" input would have lower gain, and that does not appear to line up with your description.

It's unfortunate that they describe it so ambiguously. I would suggest that you try to find out the model number, if possible, and then ask Yamaha.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    lol

I didn't catch that either. My bad! :ninja:

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Maybe HIGH is for happy music and LOW is for the blues.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Dang it! Was hoping to catch somebody. Looks like (most of) y'all are on your toes today. :D

10. MasterMonkeyMan

MasterMonkeyMan Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2009
    High input if you wear your bass at chest level. Low input for bass worn around knee level.

11. I need middle input

12. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    UK
    Usually 'High' = High Impedance or 'Hi-Z', 'Low' = Low Impedance or 'Lo-Z'. So, 'High' for Passives, 'Low' for actives although no harm in using 'High'. High will sound louder and fuller than Low with a passive instrument.