1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hi, would anyone like a nine pound bass or 60 pound cabinet?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Jul 14, 2019.

1. It would appear that nothing matters more than the weight of the thing. Screw tone, resale, origin of manufacture, playability...

Start advertising by the pound:

"8 pound 6 ounce bass for sale"

"54 1/2 pound cabinet for sale"

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I left heavy bass equipment - or it left me. I was no longer willing to risk another back injury.

Now I DO own one @50 pound cab, a Genz-Benz Neox212. But my gigs are normally played with a Fender Rumble 100 V3 (22 pounds) or a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.2 docked on a 12T cab (36 pounds.)

1) Tone? 2) Resale? 3) Origin? 4) Playability?

1) Excellent.
    2) Solid.
    3) Who cares? I really don't. It's an international market.
    4) Excellent.

And all my basses are under 9 pounds, most of them around 8.

Even before I turned 69, I hated lugging heavy amps and 80+ pound cabs. After you've hurt your back once, your priorities change and you find the cost of dumping the heavy stuff and buying lighter gear is no problem at all, and extends your playing career.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  3. I can hurt my back by bending over to tie my shoes.

4. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Dibs on the cab

5. Respect, keep doing what works, you are an inspiration

6. It is a 1 x 10" with a lead enunciator, you will love it

7. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    I have 2, 9 pound basses and 2, 7 1/2 pound basses.

All are mostly comfortable, but I have a special appreciation for the lighter ones. It really does make a difference, handling the bass feels much easier, less weight against my body...I used to not care, but I would definitely not have a 10lb + bass again like I did when I was a little younger. The drawbacks are just too much.

thumb_childhood-injuries-fell-off-my-bike-fell-out-of-a-59594949.

8. I have bursitis in both shoulders, torn tendons in the left shoulder, have had whiplash twice and lower back injuries! So until I can afford a roadie...screw the heavy stuff. My tummy is enough for me to carry around lol :)

9. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    One hernia repair is enough.

10. I have no idea how much any of my basses weigh, never even considered it until I came here, although someone recently told me my 4 year old Fender P/J bass was heavy, good thing somebody told me, I never would have known it!:laugh: I do know how much some of my amps weigh and the only concession to weight I will admit is that I am getting VERY tired of dragging an SVT head around the city in taxi cabs here in Lima. But it's more the taxi part than the weight. Walking is a good exercise, it keeps you feeling young, strong and fit.

Edit: I turned 66 in March.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  11. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    If you like heavy, buy it. No skin off my butt whatsoever. I like light these days , and no, I don't sacrifice anything. If you don't like my choices.....do you really think I give crap? If your gear makes you happy, cheers! Truly glad you like it! I've had my share of big and heavy over the years. BTW, many of those old lead sleds and 100 plus pound cabs of old, often have the resale of a Yugo, if you haven't noticed. Just curious...why do our (different than yours) choices in gear get you worked up?

12. I ordered a Squier VM 70s bass because I wanted a white jazz sooo bad and the maple with the block inlays were the deal sealer! However, when it arrived it was about one of the heaviest basses I ever had in my hands. Even with my comfort strap I could barely tolerated the almost 13lbs of maple. Well I traded it off for my Ibanez AGB 200 and picked up a white Fender Player Jazz with a maple board. The pair are heavenly to me 7056504D-117D-4CA3-9766-9ECE3BF5AA38.

90711127-BE03-4120-BC37-6E29514AD4A9.

13. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Great thread. Surprised it took so long for so obvious a topic to be addressed. Bravo!!! I was thinking of a design for a booteek bathroom scale with musical notes and a padded top so you wouldn't scratch (or "inadvertently relic") your bass whilst weighing it. :thumbsup:

bobyoung53, Charlzm, nnnnnn and 8 others like this.
  14. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I read a lot of threads in these forums, and not once have I heard anybody postulate anything like this strawman argument you are positing.

... thank you for your indulgence

ak56, Jamie Amos, kesslari and 13 others like this.
  15. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I like a nice heavy bass. Reminds me that I'm only human.

16. It took me a while, but I found the best of both worlds, great timbre & lightweight, both in instruments & amps.

PDGood, Moose22, DWBass and 5 others like this.
  17. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    You know what, I'm sort of become a fatty too and now my arm is heavier also, which I can feel in my playing, so the last thing I need is an instrument that's more difficult to handle.

murphy likes this.
  18. Um, you need a membership to sell gear. MODS!

:laugh:;):D

kesslari, Beej, Wisebass and 2 others like this.
  19. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Start doing some yoga then.

20. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    After 20+ years playing a 12 pound bass and a 160 pound Trace Elliot rig, I appreciate the difference.