1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hi y'all

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Bass Man Kirk, May 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bass Man Kirk

Bass Man Kirk

Dec 27, 2015
    long time since i posted on the forum. But as I have been making the transition from being a classical bassist over to being jazz bassist for some time now. Last year while practicing with band in box one day, I finally got the idea of reading chord charts it was my ha ha moment. When I was in college when I switched over to string bass from Tuba, I did want to study jazz bass, but my teacher at the time, said I should learn the basic of the bass first, which I did. I went through Simandle book 1 and part of book 2 as well within two years, while he was a french bow teacher, he allowed me to adapted the German bow. So it was just a couple of years ago I finally had gotten down the french bow as well. but making the transition since I had graduated in 97, has been a slow and learning curve for me on the bass. A big time difference than playing classical bass.

Now one question, has any had that journey of making the transition from being a classical to being more a jazz guy like I finding I am now and breaking that mindset? it has been a struggle but I am getting there.

Also I had re-injured my back again, so I had to go back to the German bow for I had found it had cause my back less pain and agony. Has anyone every done that before where they injured themselves where they had to make adjustments in their playing to get around in their playing?

also, I have a lot of those on jazz playing that are mentioned on this forum, but there are 3 books I still go back to always, that is the Simandle Books, and the Ray Brown's Bass Method, plus the bass version of Chord and Progressions by Bugs Bower.

The other books are just reference books those books are life cycle, plus band in a box, plus the guys I play bass for every week both the dixieland jam sessions, and my little trio.

Thanks

Kirk

2. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    I made this transition too, it's a journey! One piece of advice I got from UK (electric) bass player Laurence Cottle, was to improvise with everything I practised.

So, if I'm working on something like (for example) a G major scale, I won't just run patterns (which are important) but will improvise little melodies using that scale as well. If it's a particular fingering shape, then I'll make sure I'm using that shape. I'll try to find other shapes too - it's more based on playing melodies I hear and want to play, rather than playing the melodies I can based on the physical limitations of the bass/my technique. It keeps you being creative with the material you practise.

To support the above, work on your relative pitch and develop your ears enough that your melodies are coming from you. I like to use the Charlie Banacos method, and there was good thread here on TB: Hearing inversions

The last piece of advice I have is to learn and practise tunes. Spend hours and hours walking over tunes and picking them apart - write your own lines over them, take down other people's lines, and learn the head. Be able to play it without a chart. This is the best way to learn to play over changes, and you'll never get this from just scale/arpeggio work alone. A great method to learn tunes is here: REALLY Learning a tune

Most importantly enjoy the process of practising. The journey is a destination in itself, so take joy in it. If you're hoping it'll be over and you'll get to some destination then you'll be sorely disappointed.

3. Bass Man Kirk

Bass Man Kirk

Dec 27, 2015
    i have been doing that on guitar, so i already have the concept, just crossing it over on bass as well

4. bskts247

bskts247 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I have just one piece of advice and that is to go back to learning tunes by Ear. I'm going back to learning things by ear and its HORRIBLE when you know you have charts for everything in your pocket haha.