1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tags:
  1. I'm Emiliano from Rome, Italy, and I'm a late 30s bass noob. :rolleyes:

I've been playing guitar since I was a kid but I always been fascinated by the bass for some reason, so I borrowed a Yamaha RBX200F from a friend and started playing it. I'm having A LOT of fun with this thing and I want to learn as much as possible.
    Peace.

2. Welcome. Yes, there is something special about this beast.

CunniMingus likes this.
  3. Welcome! I think you will find this a great place to learn, and be entertained. Enjoy!

CunniMingus likes this.
  4. You mean the RBX200F or the bass in general?

5. The instrument itself.

6. Well, I have no experience with other basses but I'd say it's not an easy instrument for a complete beginner. I've been playing guitar since more than 20 years so fortunately I have decent dexterity and strenght with my hands but man... this thing is a little bit hard under my fingers. Plus, the fact that is a fretless bass and you need to play behind a fret to get a tuned interval isn' helping. Reference lines on the fingerboard help a little bit, but I'd prefer to practice with a fretted bass to be honest.
    I'm considering the idea of getting a cheap Squier J bass, this one is basically a P bass and I like the sound a lot. Having both types I can hear the differences I hope.

7. I had a no line bass, kept loosing my place so I gave it away. Lined while learning is the way to go.

CunniMingus likes this.
  8. I think I'm gonna look for a fretted instument very soon, preferably a Jazz style bass. It seems the most versatile for my needs and I like the thinner neck better.
    I'm still undecided about going with a cheap Squier (which I KNOW FOR SURE I'll sell pretty soon) or sell some guitar stuff I don't use and get a Fender American Professional. It seems a high-end solution with a reasonable price (around 1500 euros for a new instrument). It's more easily sealable and it will keep its value better.
    Like I said, I'm a bass noob but played guitar since more than 20 years and I started with cheap instrument and upgraded my gear year after year, buying and selling A LOT of instruments until I found my two favourite babies, a 1975 Telecaster and a Gretsch 6122 Chet Atkins. I understand I'm a bass beginner, but I know how the market works and I'd prefer to invest into something with a decent value.
    Even if I'll quit playing bass (which I don't think I'll do) or decide to swap for a P bass, I can easily sell an american Jazz Bass at a decent price.