Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Katy Rogers, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Hi Everyone :D

I'm new here and this is my first post! Anyway, a brief introduction. My name's Katy, i'm 19 and at the moment i'm living in Shropshire.
    I'm currently saving like a mad woman to buy my first bass guitar. Anyone got any suggestions for a good beginners pack?

I play the clarinet and have played the trumpet in the past but I've never had a string instrument before and I can't wait to get started on the bass. I'm feeling very enthusiastic at the moment, but i just need to save the cash.

Anyway, that's it for now. Nice to meet you all :bassist:

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Knowing how much you are planning to spend and what styles of music you are planning to play would result in better answers.
  4. welcome to tb this is a great site. i played violin when i was younger, my youngest is playing flute. he is really good. me, i stank at violin, lol. learning to play bass now. its cool. enjoy yourself here:D
  5. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ahhh, a girl - and a UK one at that! We don't have nearly enough girls on TB!

So, welcome to TB, Katy! :)

PS You're not single are you? :D j/k
  7. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Welcome, welcome and you did notice that according to the users agreement here you are required to post pictures of any new bass acquisitions within 72 hours in the basses forum!!:D
  8. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Welcome Katy, I am also a beginer at playing bass as well as a female...we have much to talk about...My first bass is a fender jazz. Doing quite well with it, and its great to start off with...JMO
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey there, welcome to tb! what's your budget for a new bass?
  10. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Don't mind him, he's pretty stupid.

Welcome to talkbass, hope you have a good time here, and learn a lot in the process.

Like TxBass said, use the search function often. Chances are, it has been answered. No matter what your question, it's been answered ;) On the off chance that it hasn't been, there are plenty of people who would know, so don't be afraid to ask.

Hope you have a good time :D
  11. Welcome to Talkbass Katy! As a few of the folks have mentioned, a budget will help us pull out some recommendations! Lots of experience here, and quite a few of us in the UK, so we can talk real prices for the! Lots of websites about!

Some good starter basses would be the MIM (Made in Mexico Fender) Fender Precision or Jazz basses. These are in the £300 bracket or so. Squier also run Precision and Jazz basses these are probably in the £200 region. There are also basses like Ibanez in that neck of the woods (don't know too much about them - others will be able to help)

Some other brands out just now are OLP - licensed Stingray copies, and the Rock bass - these are lower budget Warwick instruments.

Hope some of this helps.

Oh, here's a couple of links that might help!

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    w00t bazz chix r hott lol

ahem, i mean... welcome
  13. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Welcome to TB.
  14. odie

odie Supporting Member

Pandoras box. Varying opinions on what to get.

I would take a list of what these jokers recommend. See which you can afford. Then just look at them hold them do whatever you can. Even though you cant play yet you will know what you like for appearence and what feels better when comparing them all.

This often times leads to G.A.S. Which is a love/hate thing! :);)
    Good luck and welcome!!
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

*looks at his username*

16. Howdy! Welcome to TB, and join us in our cult... I mean our NOT cult... :eek: ;)

Anyway, how much are you looking to spend on a bass? There are some great deals out there, help us help you by giving us more info.

Hope you like it on the low end!
  17. [unenthusiastic voice] welcome to talkbass where you will find all your bass needs [/unenthusiastic voice]