Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skerik1, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    Stop me right away if this has been covered 27,592 times before, but I'm looking for an amp in the $500-$800 range that can stand up to drums and a 100 watt Marshall half-stack. Combos, heads, cabinets, whatever. I'm pretty ignorant about amps--I have no idea how many watts I'll need, or how in the heck "Ohms" work.

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Geez, way to play specifics :D

100 watts isnt really that much, so a large combo should do you fine. Peavey make some damn powerful combos (Check out the TNT Range).

Apart from that have a look at the amps buyers guide, it may proove some helpful insight to you and your problem ;)
  3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    Id go for a used trace head off ebay. then an avatar cab.

thats should be under $600

4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I second the Peavey tnt series.
  5. makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    It might seem expensive at first, but I think going rack is cheaper (and more flexible) in the long run. -- I spent a long time with this or that combo/head/cab setup, to end up with a rack in the end anyway.:)

One of the most commonly reccomended "cheap but good" rack setups I've read around here (and other boards) is a SansAmp RBI for the pre, a QSC RMX series for power, and Avatar for cabinets.

I put together a rig like that about a year ago, and have been totally happy with it. YMMV... I do mostly rock/metal. You'd need to find out whether the RBI gives you the sound you want first.

What I spent:
    $100 - RBI (New - major sale)
    $350 - RMX1450 (1400W bridged @ 4ohm, new, on sale)
    $260 - Avatar 2x10 (700W, 8 ohm, new, shipped)
    $280 - Avatar 1x15 (600W, 8 ohm, new, shipped)
    $0 - Rack (had it)

Those two cabinets together make a 4 ohm load, and the amp matches well with their power rating. I can pretty much obliterate 2 loud guitarists and a VERY loud drummer if I choose to. I rarely turn up anything past halfway. If doing something smaller, I can just bring one of the cabinets. The amp is 900W @ 8ohms, which is a little much. You just don't push it as hard.

You'd have to shop around to get similar deals, but for what I found $800 covers all but the 2x10. You could always wait and add that later.

Some prefer the Avatar 2x12 to the 15, and I've heard Yamaha makes a good amp in that catagory too.

The nice thing about the rack is if you decide you don't like part of it, you pluck it out and replace just that, rather than the whole thing.
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm affraid I have to diasgree with ya on that one. A 100watt guitar amp through a 4x12 cab can get rediculously loud! In my last band had trouble keeping up even with 400w, a 15" speaker and a 4x10.

Make them turn down to your level and don't take no for an answer.
  7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    My bad. My guitarist plays 100 watts through a 2x10. it musnt be up full then. :meh:
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I wouldn't get into a pissing match with a guitar player for volume either.

Tell them to turn down! I do.

9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yup. Our new guitarist has the exact same amp and he's no-where near as loud. Guitarists like that are rare. We're lucky...........