1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hiaghway One P-bass pup replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassplayer_1700, Oct 19, 2009.

1. bassplayer_1700

bassplayer_1700

Sep 26, 2009
    Hi all, i would like to replace the stock pup with the original P pickup from Fender. As i see pictures of them they sit on a metal plate .. Is there a problem to fit the pickup in place on my highway? :meh: Anyone did this already? :meh:

thx ;)

2. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm pretty sure all Fender bass pickups can be replaced without any trouble at all. I believe the metal plate is to help adjust pickup height. My Mexican Fender P bass has rubber pieces that hold the pickups up. I swapped the stock ones out for Nordstrands.

3. bassplayer_1700

bassplayer_1700

Sep 26, 2009
    i just bought them ;) hope they'll fit :))

4. I believe you are referring to the grounding plate?

Its meant to help shield the pickup, but it really doesn't do very much at all.

There is no need to add one to your bass if you don't already have one. You usually only see the plate on P basses to keep the vintage-correct vibe.

5. bassplayer_1700

bassplayer_1700

Sep 26, 2009
    hi, thanks for the reply, i wanted to know if the "Original Precision Pickup" from Fender will fit my P Highway one .. :smug: .. didn't knew what that plate was and if it will fit the cavity of the body .. but i guess it's an 1/1 replacement .. just asking to be sure.

6. The plate can be removed either way.

7. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    Fact - it don't mean a thang! Having had a few 60's basses...you're better off shielding the cavities of the instrument (IF not already done) and using the foam you probably have on hand. The Fender Custom Shop 60's J-BAss pups are sweet :smug:

8. bassplayer_1700

bassplayer_1700

Sep 26, 2009
    that's great, there's no problem then ;)

9. bassplayer_1700

bassplayer_1700

Sep 26, 2009
    i bought this bass a 2 weeks ago, it's an used bass from 2006, i was surprised how well is made .. of course the cavities are shielded ;) before this i had a 57RI and an US Jazz, both sounded great especially the RI ..but this is assembled better .. can't understand why .. i had a Sadowsky metro, i only can compare this one with the Sad, good neckpocket, good fretwork, nice paintjob etc. everything's a beauty under the pickguard where nobody cares about the looks, fit and finish 10 out of 10 and the sound is good too, it's a P :smug:, i hope i cand make it even better with the new pups :smug:

10. nellie48

nellie48

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I hope your replacement pickups are enough of an upgrade as the stock pickups in your hwy 1 are American pups. The part number is the exact same as the pickups in the fender American standards

11. bassplayer_1700

bassplayer_1700

Sep 26, 2009
    yeah .. i know this, but the original P pup is used only on american vintage and custom shop models, not the same thing ..

12. nellie48

nellie48

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yeah, I like a more vintage tone than the standard american pups, but I decided to put Nordstrands in my HWY 1.

13. bassplayer_1700

bassplayer_1700

Sep 26, 2009
    I had NJ's on my Sad, good vintage pups :smug:

i heard just good things about the "original P" pickup .. only good reviews .. and they sounded awesome on the RI57, nice clear bottom and perfect string to string ballance a very good presence in the mix.

14. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    +1 on Nordstrand pickups.
    I've always been very happy with increased clarity across the sonic spectrum. All of their pickups are fantastic.

15. bassplayer_1700

bassplayer_1700

Sep 26, 2009
    i got my new pups, installed them and ... there's a BIG BIG difference now ;) .. nice clear bottom, soft clear highs, tight and strong midrange etc. i didn't imagined they will change the bass that much .. i only can recommend them ;)

cheers and thx for all the replies ;)