Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hickeys, what is the point?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Apr 15, 2004.

1. I just don't understand the point of getting a hickey (when a girl/guy bites your neck leaving a bruise). What is so sexual about getting bit in the neck hard enough to leave a bruise? Is it some sado-machoist thing?

2. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    maybe its the deep inner vampire side of people getting out? :p

-jimbo

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It's about marking territory. Cats rub their scent on you, dogs pee on your leg. A girl may plant her flag by sucking the blood out of your neck and into your epidermis, where it will leave a mark. She left her mark on you -- she claimed you -- at least for the moment. That can be kinda sexy or really scary... depending on how you feel about carrying this person's "mark" for a few days!

:D

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hickeys annoy me as well. However, hickeys are usually created by sucking on one spot, not biting.

brad cook

5. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i just remembered this health teacher i had for a first aid class in high school. there was one thing he did drill into our heads: a hickey is a closed wound caused by sucking.

-jimbo

6. Well I have never gotten one, so I didn't know if it was biting or sucking. Maybe I should ask my friend (a girl mind you) to give me one :p .

7. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just received one on......uh...... *cough, cough, wink wink*....accident recently and I agree with secretdonkey. I'm nuts about the girl so I don't reallyt mind her accidently in "the act" marking me. I rather like it actually but I hate the comments other people make. Like "what happen to your neck, heh heh heh"? "Did you get in a fight with a vacuum, yuck yuck yuck"?

At 25 these jokes tend to be a little ridiculous. Especially coming from people twice my age. I don't mind hickies. Just people who think their being original and funny. :rolleyes:

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    secretdonkey said exactly what i was going to say, but better. :)

i woman friend of mine in her early thirties said she needed to talk about some stuff with me a short while back. i met with her in my favorite resaurant, taco bell, and immediately noticed she had a hickey on her neck. i asked her what the hell that was all about and it was in fact one of the things she wanted to talk with me about. she wanted a guys pepspective on what it was all about.

just lost my train of thought as i went off in search of what the above was a catalyst to (a great poetic work of art) but found only this....

http://www.12gauge.com/col_brooklyn.html

whatever. it's a plug for my friend and perhaps a little background info on what it is that causes hickeys. :D ya have to read between the lines.

also - hickeys don't hurt, but they don't overly excite either. at least not me. kisses work better.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    This is accurate... IMHO, its mental... Not much different that some psycho who wants to carve your initials on thier body.... only YOU'RE carrying the mark, instead of them...

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'd say, more often than not, hickeys happen quite by accident. Unless it's the severe and intentional kind you usually don't feel any pain while the bruising is occurring. It doesn't take too much to leave a mark on skin - the kind of kiss you give your girlfriend on the mouth, when applied to the neck is likely to leave a mark. Now, as for the people that set out to intentionally give a hickey - immature or obsessed stocker type, you choose.

...now why do I have a feeling that by the end of the day, IAMERICCOCHRANE will have a hickey on an arm somewhere? :p

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Some people enjoy the physical sensation of that type of contact in that area.

I personally like giving and getting them. They just feel good to me.

Peace
    Nick

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Oh, and it shouldnt hurt.

Ive always compared it to a sexy neck massage.

13. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    You are missing out Eric!

Next time I get one, it shall be my avatar just for you buddy!

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've had only three in my life. I had two of them at the same time. My last girlfriend was a bit... freh kay... I think she was a sadist deep inside. Also, whenever she was... happy... she'd dig her fingernails into my back pretty hard... she said she really liked doing that. It was... kinda cool... :meh: I don't know how S&M I am...

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's where hicks come from. :hyper:

16. A fine Irish lass, name of Hickey,
    Once dated a Jewel known as Mickey.
    For dinner I'd not care; I'd eat whatever was there,
    No not this lass, she was terribly, terribly picky. :rolleyes:

What? :confused:

You were warned that limericks might break out at anytime. :p

Till the morrow.

Mike :D

17. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i agree

18. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Getting a hickey is just enjoyable. I've never tried to get a girl to give me a hickey but it happens sometimes.

19. Sure, the kind of kiss that sucks all the air out of your girlfriend's lungs and they make this kind of frog-like 'ribbit' sound as her lungs collapse.

I think you're right on the second count, though. :p

20. This sounds like something out of an Edgar Allan Poe story. :eek:

Mike :bag: