Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hidden compartment in your cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigwig, Sep 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    is there anyway to possibly make a hidden compartment inside ur cab..like a door in the back that wud open up to reveal a space about 2ft x 1ft x 1ft ... where i cud store beer bottles?
    i know it sounds stupid as hell..but is it possible..like to make it so u can store something in the back of ur cab..i know it wud be a big job, but with my ****ty ass cab, it wud be pretty kool if my band cud hide our beer..

thanks.

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I don't know about making a compartment but I've heard of people hiding stuff in open backed cabs. So you could save yourself some time and energy and get an open backed cab.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I think that the heat and the vibrations would make the beer go flat. :spit:

4. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    well they wouldnt be in there when i was playing...just for storage...
    i didnt know u cud get open backed bass cabs?

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think hes referring to "rear ported" rather than open backed. Like SWR's Goliath I & II's.

6. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I don't think you can either. But I was just saying that open backed cabs (I didn't specify bass or guitar) can be used to hide things. You could maybe get a cheap guitar amp? Or go with a rear ported bass cab.

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Umm... who is trying to steal your beer? Are you sure they won't find it in your cab? Beer is both delicious and intoxicating, so beer thieves can be very motivated and may not be fooled by false cab compartments.

8. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    I would have to agree with the open back guitar cab idea. You can even put hinges on it and put a door on it. A padlock if you wanted to. Plus, you could jam a bag of ice in there, so long as you NEVER plug that thing in again :D.

9. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I really don't think he means beer. I think he means some other substance.. That wouldn't go flat.

10. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Just use a "dummy" 210 cab.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That picture Brendan posted is of an Ampeg fridge built around the 8-10 cab.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I take it that you missed Brendan's post, 3 or 4 above yours?

13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    There's nothing like the idea of placing breakable liquid-filled objects inside your cabinet, where they might break and create a "hazardious situation", not to mention dry sticky and be an absolute *%&#@ to clean out. :rollno:

Hell, I've never been on a "professional" gig where the band wasn't given a free beer or two from the bar, so I can't even think this is about... ahh, I see this might be an "age" issue. ;)

Personally, I think a better idea might be better to leave a rackspace open for dictionary storage. "cud", "wud", "ur"?

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Do think there will come a time when some bass nerds start "pimping" their cabinets? Ie putting perspex sides and led's in them like they do with their computers?

Just a thought! :D

15. I actually leave my Ampeg cab on the street corner after gigs, and beat it with a twisted up coat hanger if I don't make any money.

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Welcome to MTV2's Pimp My Cab.

Haha. You heard it here first, folks.

17. I think the "dummy cab" idea is the best. Get yourself a old amp cab or just make a wood box around a cooler and put some grill cloth in front. Find some logo to put on and your set, plus your brewski will be cold and delicious. That's what I wud dew.

18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    (Old man voice "on"): Hey you darned kids . . . get off my lawn!!!

19. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well he is 16 and it sounds like they want to hide the beer from parents or some other funny stuff. Either way I dont think this is a thread were people should giving advice to help him get away with it. Maybe a good ol' call to Ma and Pa?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.