1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hidden Gems for us Americans...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Apr 15, 2006.

1. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    So, I've discovered a couple british bands that i've never heard before and found them to be incredible. I don't know why they never became more popular over here. Maybe they are, but I think I would've heard of them...

they are:

The Stone Roses
    The Charlatans

I had heard of the Stone Roses, but had never heard their music. I checked them out and they were awesome!

sorry if I sound like a noob, but I think these bands should really be revealed to anyone who hasn't heard them before.

Share some other rare bands that you think are great!

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I've only known The Stone Roses for a short time myself. You're right, the first album is very good.

Here's a few bands I like:

The Men They Couldn't Hang
    The Housemartins (Who later became The Beautiful South),
    Lloyd Cole & the Commotions.

3. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

Arctic Monkeys
    I saw the Dead Pets live recently, couldn't understand a word they said but they were pretty awesome.

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I used to love the Stone Roses' song "Love Spreads" but now I can't get over the singer's accent for some reason. :meh:
    I also noticed that Mani (their bass player) gets a bit too carried away in the song.

5. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    yeah, i know about the arctic monkeys, but they're really popular over there and i think a lot of people here know about them. no?

6. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    There's a band from the UK that I think is pretty sweet though they are still up an coming band with having only released an EP (I think they have their first CD due out soon though), they are TOBIAS from the UK. You can check them out on myspace at http://www.myspace.com/tobiasmusicuk

- David.

7. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I read somewhere that there was a comeback of Funk music in the UK underground scene. I would really like to know about some of these UK funk bands if anyone has any information

8. Some great, mostly unknown (to us) british bands:

Funeral For A Friend (slowly becoming more popular in the states, but still worth mentioning)
    Million Dead
    Jarcrew
    Hondo Maclean
    Sikth
    Score One For Safety

9. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    thanks! I'll check them out!

Edit: oh yeah, i forgot to mention them in my original post:

Bullet for my Valentine

a really great band who play a great live show

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I've been a fan of both since the early 90s. Good stuff!

I just queued some up.... "Stone Roses -Breaking into Heaven" is playing right now (off "Second Coming")

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hawkwind is "classic rock" in the UK, but in America, they are criminally unknown. Same goes for "The Groundhogs," Split is such a good album.

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Ephel Duath
    The Mass
    Glueleg
    Drive-By Truckers

13. what aboot crowded house ay:bag:

14. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Crowded House is not a hidden band. "Don't Dream it's Over" was a huge hit in the States and still gets airplay.

Another band: Easterhouse, first record Contenders

15. well yeah that song, but how many others.....theres so many good crowded house songs..what about the later neil finn stuff?

16. Unfortunately both Jarcrew and Million Dead have since split, thus making their stuff a bit harder to find. But if you like Bullet, you'll definitely dig FFAF (they come from the same area) and SOFS is in the similar hardcore vein.

http://myspace.com/scoreoneforsafety ("Cat Vs. Skyscraper" is a great tune)
    www.myspace.com/funeralforafriend

17. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I freaking love that song! Its prolly the greatest first song on any album! That bassline is killer! :bassist:

18. oh, since i dont live in the states, 2 more aussie bands that a friggin awesome
    D.I.G (Directions In Groove)
    Skunkhour

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

You wouldn't buy them for fidelity but Guided By Voices: "Alien Lanes", "Isolation Drills" or Bob Pollard's (GBV's singer) music is the finest 1-4-5 rock I have enjoyed in such a long time.

In GBV the members would mail each other the basement tapes and each would put their track on. Pollard's new band is just a bit more polished, but fortunately not slick.

I saw Pollard and his band 2 weeks ago in Detroit. simply awesome.

20. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That's a good point. I'm not sure if Split Enz is that well known stateside either.

Another semi-cultish band: Dream Academy. Their first album was produced by David Gilmour and had Guy Pratt & Pino Palladino on bass.