Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hidden Treasures(Basses under 700 dollars)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Nov 25, 2002.

1. As pathetic as my question may seem,I was wondering what hidden treasures you guys have found,you know,those really cheap basses that end up kicking a lot of ass.

2. My two main basses cost under $700...added together! Reverend Rumblefish XL cost me $360 and my MIJ Fretless Jazz cost me $300. Not bad, eh?

3. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Ibanez ATK, not too bad for $350 or less. I'm not happy with the electroics, but the bass is incredably solid.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Check out my post in "Prettiest Bass".

I got the bass, case, and Bassman amp for $350.00!

Nice actives, some wear & tear, but playable. Weighs a ton though.

Heck, I'll post it here too.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    MTD Kingstons
    Reverends
    Cort Curbows

6. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Skyline's are pretty close to $700

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    used basses.. stingrays, MIA Fenders, Lakland skylines just to name a few.

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    DR Heartfields!!!!

Laugh, but if you play one you will know where I'm coming from!

9. Used Peavey Millenniums. Having that logo on the headstock makes them poor resellers but they are deluxe!

10. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Dude,
    There are so many good basses out there for under 700 bucks. Whether new in that price range, or used from the900-1200 price range the only way to find them is to go and play as many as you can find. There are literaly gobs of basses in the 700 or less range that would probably fit you well.

In your case, I would get a used carvin. I love mine, and you can find them pretty tricked out for that price. But if I had 700 right now, I would probably wait til a ric comes along....

I still kick it though, on my MIM P-bass, you really can't go wrong there, and you'd still have enough dough to upgrade to your heart's content.

Well there are a few options i guess...

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'll agree with alot of those. I've been very impressed with all the Cort Curbows I've seen (newer ones with Barts, of course). G&Ls and Reverends both are awesome. I'll agree with the Peavey Millineum, too, but I think you can find a Cirrus under $700, too. I bought both of my favorite basses for $500. Ibanez ATK305 and Hagstrom 8string.

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    DEFINITELY the 4-string Curbow (not Cort) Prototype that Greg built himself in the late 80s or early 90s. Got that bad boy for less than 700.00, complete with a Bart P/J config and a SERIOUS slap tone. Plus, it's one of a kind.

13. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    New or used, that is the question? You can buy some nice basses for less then $700.00 if you don't mind used. Brand new, there are still quite a few choices without necessarily going for a Squire for example. I picked up a brand new Ibanex EDC705 for less then $700.00 and it's a five string with active electronics. You also have Warmoth available if you dont mind doing the work yourself. Alvarez has a good reputation. I could go on and on, what do you want?