1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hide a gps tracking device in your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, Oct 7, 2016.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    i'm not sure where to post this, but it seems relevant enough to post in the Basses section. would you hide a gps tracking device in your bass, in case of theft or loss? would it cause any interference with electronics/pickups/wireless systems?

Garret Graves likes this.
  2. danster

danster

Jul 13, 2007
    Connecticut, USA
    Doesn't Carvin offer this, or used to?

bassbully likes this.
  3. seems a little extreme unless its a particularly valuable instrument

4. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    I'm mostly considering it for my soon to be finished Stambaugh. If i were to bring that on the road, i think a small tracking device would be a worthy investment. As for my Fenders, I wouldnt care as much.

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yes my Carvin had it built into it.

6. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Maybe Tile or TrackR? The biggest problem for these is range. For Tile, I believe you have to be within 100 feet or so to get a hit. I'd be interested in seeing how TrackR does, I would choose that over Tile, and it seems with crowd GPS, that it would be more effective in larger cities.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Carvin has never offered GPS tracking in any of their instruments. You are thinking about the chip they put in that can be scanned through a system should the pawn shop have the appropriate gear. It is called SNAGG. It is a passive device meaning it cannot transmit data. A GPS tracker would need to send and receive data signals to work.

EDIT: Apparently SNAGG does make a GPS tracker too. Snagg Theft Protection - OFFICIAL SITE | Snagg