1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hiding pickguard screw holes

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by poomwah, Mar 17, 2008.

1. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I have a bass thats stripped down to bare wood, I'd like to put a smaller pickguard on it, BUT I also want a transparent finish, it will be cheapo dye for the color, then aerosol laquer on top of that, nothing fancy. But is there any way I can fill the holes so that they won't show after they wood is dyed? or am I stuck with "dots" where the screws used to be? I'm suspecting my only options are going to be use the original pickguard, or use an opaque finish after the holes have been filled :\

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    With a dyed trans finish, you'll be stuck with dots. The question is how noticeable will they be? Get some sawdust from your body and mix it with epoxy or a slow-setting super glue, and then pack it into those holes.

3. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    +1 on the sawdust. What sort of wood are you working with? You may even be able to use those "furniture finish repair" pens or an ultra fine sharpie to mimic the grain "through" the dots to make them less noticeable.

4. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I don't know what kind of wood I'm working with for sure. its a 77 gibson ripper