HIFI rig vs. Tube Head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ted13, Jul 21, 2005.

1. ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    OK my old setup was a vtbp-201 through a qsc poweramp and eden 410xlt. I recently sold and have borrowed a vba400 marshall and matching 810. With my old setup i had put together a pretty wicked pedalboard to add overdrives, distortions and effects. what i am realizing is with the hifi rig i needed a variety of drives because none of them sounded right for all the songs. now with this amp because it's less hifi, i can get away with many less pedals. maybe this is something to think about when buying a rig.. the tube head is so punchy and full it sounds good for everything, i kinda miss the "tone" (clarity) when listening to the blend of pickups on a jazz bas etc. but overall i think the tube head really makes things easier. another bonus is not having to worry about clipping a non tube poweramp. Plus once your in the club and going through the house that hifi clarity if often lost anyway and now with a tube head i also find that the sound for whatever reason projects much better and i don't have to worry as much about the bass dropping out depending on how far you are from the speaker and sounding thin and brittle. anyways just some thoughts. T
  2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    That's cool to hear, sounds like it will make your life a lot less complicated. :cool:

I'd love to be able to tote in a self-contained all-tube head (wait, when I finally get a vintage SVT head, I will ;) ) plug in, and go. For some reason unknown to me, tube distortion doesn't work for my style. :crying: I've owned 2 different SLM/Ampeg heads that I couldn't get a good sound out of at high volumes. You wanna hear a modern all-tube head sound crappy? Plug me into it! :D

On the other hand, I don't know how anyone could sound bad through a vintage SVT. I'd love to try out the Demeter and Aguilar all-tube heads, maybe I could sound good through one of them.

- Art
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You may also want to try out a Trace Elliot all-tube head. The Valve series has a great clean tone, with lots of richness and complexity, but it doesn't overdrive as well. The V4/V6/V8 have a good clean tone, but also allow for a wide range of usable overdriven tones.

The Eden VT-300 and Mesa Bas 400/400+ might also work for you. These are all different takes on the "all tube head thing", and if the modern Ampeg options didn't work for you, maybe one of these will. Of course, as you pointed out, vintage Ampeg is a whole new ball game, too!