1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Higgs Boson found?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tituscrow, Dec 13, 2011.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    They're being quite conservative about reporting their results. A similar atmosphere surrounded the initial reporting of events suggesting the top quark.

2. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    True. Nevertheless, still intriguing stuff. The Dawn of the New Enlightenment approaches... :)

3. Shall have to wait and see, even if they have, it'll need to be vetted and repeated to try and confirm.

On a site note, I've briefly met Peter Higgs, and let him cut infront of me to get a Coffee :p

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    It is my suspicion that the professor's estimation is off by about 8 or so days.

5. Seriously cool stuff, been following the search for the Higgs for well over a decade, ever since first reading "The God Particle" by Leon Lederman - which was a surprisingly fascinating read, for a non-fiction physics book. :)

6. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    so a higgs boson particle walks into a catholic church (didja hear about this? didja?). the priest comes up to it and asks it to leave immediately. higgs asks, "why?" the priest explains that surely it knows that it is referred to as the 'g-d particle' and thus it is blasphemous and must leave the church at once. higgs looks confused and says, "but father, if i leave you can't have mass."

thank you, thank you. wow, what a terrific audience.

7. BUH-DOOM CHHHHH!!!

;)

8. Time Monkey

Time Monkey Banned

Jan 9, 2009
    California
    dude thats friggin sweeeeet.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That would be a "no." They've just narrowed the range of its possible energy.

10. Exactly.

However, knowing where to look for something is a big step toward finding it. Or NOT, which as is stated there, would be even MORE interesting for the experimental dudes...and quite the headache for the theoretical dudes! :)

11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
  12. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    When I read the title, I thought to myself "who is Higgs Boson, and how did he go missing?". Now I feel so stupid.

13. Hi.

Don't, it probably just means that You're young, and not a nerd. As opposed to... ;).

Regards
    Sam

14. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    Well, I am a nerd, just not in this particular field of study :p

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    BTW, now would be a good time to break out your tinfoil hats, guys.

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    ??? Mine never comes off. It's the only way to avoid the black helicopters...

ZPi | Merry Black Helicoptermas!

17. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Woohoo **** yea physics