1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

High 5 EADGC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aprod, Mar 26, 2013.

1. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    I was watching this video with Steve Swallow playing a 5 string tuned "high 5" EADGC. This would work nicely with my current project. Anybody try converting to this tuning? This next question probably belongs in the Luthiers section but I'll throw it out there; Can I expect to have to a make a new nut or will the superglue buildup work on the current nut or could I get lucky and not have to adjust the nut at all?

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I've done this with many 5's, no messing with the nut required.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I find this tuning very useful and in fact easier to manage than BEADG for one who switches between BEADG fretted, EADG fretted and fretless, EADGC fretless, and EADG upright.

However, for chords, it is best to use fretted EADGC, rather than fretless, IME. You might also consider EADGB, if you have a guitar background.

4. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
  5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    The thing you may need to do is work out the string heights and intonation i.e. a basic setup, especially if you use a different set of strings.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I wonder when someone will try a DGCFA# tuning. It's sort of half way between the BEADG and EADGC.

7. bassplace

bassplace

Mar 1, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    I switched my ACG to this. Love it. Ended up adding a drop d tuner as well

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Usually need no modification especially if you run a heavier E string like a 110.

But nothing a tiny piece of business card won't fix!

9. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Been doing this since 1988 when I first saw Swallow with one of these. I have strung 2 Carvin LB75's and a Bongo HH 5'er this way, with absolutely no issues. For over 25 years.