Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High Action

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by coffee-clara, Jan 22, 2005.

1. coffee-clara

coffee-clara

Jan 22, 2005
    I bought a second hand double bass last year for 550GBP after not having played, due to lack of an instrument, for 4 years. I was a bit hasty in the purchase due to enthusiasm and lack of funds. I was told it was a 3/4 laminate, played for 10 years orchestrally. Several problems have arisen: The sheer size and weight of the instrument lead me to believe it may not be laminate, but I don't know how to tell and the action is too high making playing for a while uncomfortable. The lady I bought the bass from was genuine having played to the same standard as myself on this instrument. I'm not sure what to do, how can I find out more about the instrument and what would be the best way to go about lowering the action. I also want to restring, I play orchestrally and jazz to an intermediate standard, and was considering hybrid strings... any recommendations?

Sorry for all the questions, any advice would be appreciated.

Clara. :help:

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Clara, you must find a luthier to help you. I gather you are somewhere in the UK -- a place, I'm sure, where there must be luthiers! They may not be filling the streets and pubs, but they are out there. A person with bass violin expertise is what you want. Short of that, a general violin luthier can probably assist you. A guitar-only luthier is not likely to be of too much help, but that person might be able to point you in the right direction for finding someone.

In thinking about this a little more, I realize your questions are sensible but they are the sort of questions that come from a person working on their own, not plugged into the expertise of a teacher, a luthier, or more experienced players. Any of these can help you with info. The only person who can actually improve your instrument's playability, though, is a luthier.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Also, check the 'Newbie' links at the top of each category. A lot of your questions have been answered at length.