Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

high action?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Aug 8, 2001.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    it seems like i'm the only one who likes high action. its weird i know. my guitars are all lowered as low as they'll go. Everytime one of my buddies plays my bass thy complain about the action being too high. Whats worse is the other day i played a warwick where the strings were literally and inch and a half off the fretboard. I loved it. I'm gonna have my bass setup with this type of action now. Theres just something about low action that sounds bad for slapping, hmmm. I'm pretty sure i'm the only person who feels this way is what i thought was wierd. Any one else who likes this type of action.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Nope. Free country, though. Inch and a half? Is that one of those newfangled crescent shaped necks? :)
    Doc

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    No you are not the only one!

i also like high action!

some bassists grab my bass and that´s the first thing they notice too...

it started because i didn´t want my MIM Jazz to buzz and i got used to it...

in my new Ibanez BTB i first started to play with low action but i felt like something was missing... raised the action and felt very comfortable (to me).

also is a great way to keep other bassists away from you bass ;)

so count me as another High Action Freak (HAF)

:D

4. :

:eek: An inch and a half?! Far out, man, I don't think I would like playing that that.

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    An inch and a half seems extreme, but to each his own. I like a high action also. Lets my strings speak well, and as I play sometimes with a heavy touch, I get less fret noise this way. Plus, it just feels good to me. I guess that's what it all comes down to, isn't it?

-robert

6. hmm... my B-string has 5 mm between string & fretboard at the 12th fret.. i thought that was extreme...

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I raised the action from "speedy" to "manly" on my Modulus a couple weeks back. Little to no buzz...and it sounds great! Took a little bit to get used to, but I like it.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I seriously doubt you can get that action. That'd be 3 cm above the fretboard, impossible IMO. And the intonation of your bass would go to hell.

And your statement that low action is bad for slapping is bull IMO, it's high action that can make slapping hard.

But hey, to each his own.

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I used to have a fretless PBass set up with flats, foam mute, and action high enough that I could fit my pinky under the g string at the 12th fret. It sounded huge, and amazing. While that was an extreme case for me, I do prefer higher action on all of my basses. I should really work on digging into the strings so hard, but I guess I am lazy and just want to take the easy way out, and just raise the strings, instead.

10. If Hyperlitem's action really is 1.5", I reckon he's got a longbow, not a bass! Can you fire arrows with it?;)

I really can't see how it's possible to play a stringed instrument with such an action. The intonation must be dreadful. Or am I completely missing the point?

John

11. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    60's P-bass, flatwounds and high action. Gotta love the sound and the feel.

12. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ok to clarify yoiu guys are wondering how that warwick got that high of action. I just remeber it being freakishly high. When i looked at my bass last night i guess theres no way it was an inch and half. I do think it was higher than much normal electric basses go. It reminded me of those upright thingies. I think the high action was achieved by warwicks adjustable nut. I think thats how they got the action that high. Of course i only played it not plugged in for about 5 minutes so the intonation could of been aweful. If might of been one of those nobs at guitar centers idea of a joke. I said i thought my slap tone sounded better, not that it was better. I just like the sound. it may sound aweful to other people. Its reassuring to know others like high action like me. I do keep one bass with real low action though so i have the best of both worlds.

13. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The first bass I played on had something like that action, well, let's stay at 1" at the octave.
    It was a double bass, and it was playable. As long as you stayed with playing half notes, because you needed at least three finer to press the string. And the intonation was, ehm, not good.
    We had the bridge cut down 12 mm=1/2", and some of us could eventually play it. Out of tune except for the open strings.
    Using such an action on an electric would be stupid. They are built for low action, soft touch and fair intonation (the frets do not allow good intonation).