Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High Beams - lyte or not lyte?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Meehaw, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Hi. In a few hours I'll have to phone my music shop and tell them what gauges of DR High Beams I want. I'm wonder if a set of Lytes won't sound too weak in the music I play. One of my bands is kind of heavy, Slipknotish - Mudvaynish - something, but apart from that I like playing less aggressive music. Have anyone tried both standard and lyte sets of High Beams? Can you help me make a decision? I play a six striger if it changes anything. :)

Thanks for your responses. :bassist:

2. JimmyT

JimmyT Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Seatlle
    I've got to help a fellow countryman ! (I'm mostly Polish) :) I can only speak from a 4 string perspective. I have used .40 - .100 DR high beams for years and recently am experimenting with different gauges the last few weeks, and trying the MM Fatbeams as well. The heavier gauges will definitely give you a thicker bottom end and overall roundness to your tone but with less give to the strings. So, it depends upon your touch. If you have an aggressive attack, I would go with the heavier gauge. If you have a lighter touch, play chords and like to slap, go with the lighter. The fatbeams are my new favorite - less bright, and the perfect tension for the R&B, finger funk I'm playing mostly now. When I went back to the .40-.100 yesterday, the strings felt too light, harder to control and sounded much thinner to me. I think I'm going to stick with the .45 - .105 fatbeams.

Just my opinion - hope it helps.

3. Light gauge HI-Beams can be a little too floppy for me too. The mediums are just right.

4. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Medium it is. :)

They will be lighter than my D'Addarios either way.

Thanks for your help! :)