1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

High C guage - 0.028?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sargebaker, Aug 16, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I'm re-stringing my Spector E-F (as opposed to B-C) the problem will be getting the high F string. 7 string sets are darn hard to find here and I'm not ordering off the net. I had the idea of buying an 8 string set and useing the 4 normal strings and 2 piccolo ones for the C & F.

The average C string is 0.032, and I was wondering if a 0.04 or 0.028 C string would work well, keeping in mind this is a 35" scale bass.

I'm thinking of using the piccolo G (0.018) for the high F, will this also work?

And will the D'addario long scale EXL 170-8 strings fit the 35" scale Spector?

Thank you and I apologize if this has been discussed before.

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Hancock, MI
    I once ordered some La Bella singles for my sixer, in funky gauges, and the C was a .028

I preferred that to the .032's I use now. The popping tone was better and bending was tons easier, but I'm happy using .032 for now.

I do believe your plan will work.

3. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    was the scale length on your six a 35?

4. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    bump, I reckon the lack of response means it'll work?

EDIT: Will D'addario EXL 170-8 strings fit the 35" scale? if not are there other piccolo sets that will?

5. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I don't think you'd want to use a 0.04 for a C. That's typically a G string gauge. Anywhere from 0.028-0.032 should be good for the C. Can't comment on the F string since I've never used one.