Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High C guage - 0.028?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sargebaker, Aug 16, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I'm re-stringing my Spector E-F (as opposed to B-C) the problem will be getting the high F string. 7 string sets are darn hard to find here and I'm not ordering off the net. I had the idea of buying an 8 string set and useing the 4 normal strings and 2 piccolo ones for the C & F.

The average C string is 0.032, and I was wondering if a 0.04 or 0.028 C string would work well, keeping in mind this is a 35" scale bass.

I'm thinking of using the piccolo G (0.018) for the high F, will this also work?

And will the D'addario long scale EXL 170-8 strings fit the 35" scale Spector?

Thank you and I apologize if this has been discussed before.

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I once ordered some La Bella singles for my sixer, in funky gauges, and the C was a .028

I preferred that to the .032's I use now. The popping tone was better and bending was tons easier, but I'm happy using .032 for now.

I do believe your plan will work.

3. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    was the scale length on your six a 35?

4. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    bump, I reckon the lack of response means it'll work?

EDIT: Will D'addario EXL 170-8 strings fit the 35" scale? if not are there other piccolo sets that will?

5. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I don't think you'd want to use a 0.04 for a C. That's typically a G string gauge. Anywhere from 0.028-0.032 should be good for the C. Can't comment on the F string since I've never used one.