Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High C on a 5-string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Wolfman200, Jan 16, 2006.

1. I just bought a 5-string fretless and I'm interested in stringing it with a high C instead of a low B. Should I just buy a 6-string set and discard the B?

Thanks in advance

2. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Depends on what set you're looking to buy. If they make strings in the .030 range in your favorite make and model, it'd be best to buy a four string set and the matching high C string individually if you're cost conscious (juststrings.com is great for this). If not, then your only option is to buy the six string set, but holding onto the low B string might be useful in case you want to experiment with tunings like AADGC (octave A's, in case you're in the next KoRn or Limp Bizkit).

3. rprowse

rprowse

Dec 17, 2005
    Wellington NZ
    I've been using GHS strings on my tenor bass (A,D,G,C) for well over 10 years and I love them. GHS strings have always been available seperately (I'm in New Zealand, "alla fine del mondo"!). I have, however, had a bit of trouble lately getting separate strings... hey, but this is New Zealand! The C in a .30 gauge. I'm sure that they're easy to get in bigger countries.

Richard