Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High C-string gauge - 0.035 acceptable?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Not Mark Westlake, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Hey there,
    Got myself a new 6-string bass, and for Christmas my grandparents bought me, amongst other things, some strings for it. They went to their local music shop and got the salesman there to make up a set of Rotosounds for a 6-string bass, so the gauges went: 0.125, 0.100, 0.080, 0.060, 0.040, and lastly 0.035. As a 6-string virgin, is the last string "OK" to use as a C? It pretty much feels OK, but I was just wondering if I'm actually stretching the crap out of a slightly lighter gauge G-string, or if this is just a standard sorta gauge for a C-string?

Thanks for any help,

Mark.

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    If it works for you, then all is good.

I use .035 for my G string, and .025 for the high C.... I like the softer tension on the high strings.

The strings I use are the SIT Conklin Power Steel Signature set, gauges (from low B to high F) .135 .110 .080 .055 .035 .025 .018pb - so thicker strings on the low end and thinner on the top end. I find it works well: extra firmness and heavier sound on the low notes and extra softness (fuller sound and easier to play) on the top end....

hope that helps.