Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High-C string gauge Q

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Le Basseur, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Hi all,
    It's been a while since I switched from BEADG to EADGC on one of my basses (Yamaha RBX775).
    I tried/switched between Warwick Black Labels,DR Lo-Riders and D'Addario EXL's but my point is that all these string sets had the standard .030 gauge C string.Now,frankly,I'm a little embarassed with this gauge,I mean the feeling is,well,"flimsy".Also,the C string's sound is a little too thin and twangy for my taste.
    On the other hand,I'm very pleased with the Fodera Diamonds (.032 C string) I have on another bass.
    Back to the Yammie,I'd like to try another (thicker) C gauge on it but the brand I'm into makes only .030 and .035 gauges.
    Does anyone of you use a thicker-than-.030 C string?How do you like it?
    If yes,aside of a more "solid" feel,is there a major difference in the bass' action setup?And,finally,does a .035 string withstand without breaking a C tuning?
    Thanks!
    Regards,

2. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I use the Rotosound .035 gauge C-string. If you use that in conjunction with a regular standard gauge 4-string Rotosound set you have the same gauges as the 6-string set without the low B.

I LOVE these strings. The C-string is not as beefy as the other strings, but it really sings.

This setup will put a lot more tension on your neck than BEADG, but my bass handles it just fine.

If you want to hear an absolute master using this setup, order Jim Markway's "Forward Motion" from here (and help the gulf coast economy get back on its feet):

www.louisianamusicfactory.com

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I never even thought about it but the C on my TI SuperAlloy set is a 0.030". Going to a 0.035 won't be a huge issue but it might feel uneven compared to the other strings. I either buy single C's or use 5 from a set of 6s because they are actually cheaper that way.

You might want to try dealing with a place that lets you make a custom gauge set and see how you like them. Or just mix and match your favorite C string onto a set that you also like.

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I doubt that this is the case. Most C strings will have less tension that the B string from the same set. That means that your total tension would be less, since the EADG strinhs don't change in tension.

For instance, the SuperAlloy 6 sets that I get my E-C sets from have a B with 34 lbs tension and a C with 28 lbs. So I actually have 4 lbs less total tension. That is a 0.030, but even a 0.035 would have about the same tension as a 0.125-0.130 B string.

Maybe Roto can hook you up with the tension specs?

5. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Hey guys,
    Thanks everybody for your inputs! :hyper:
    This is exactly what I intended to do:I already have a bunch of my favourite EADG sets (German-made Optima Roundwound Gold .040 .055 .075 .095) and I'll simply add a .035 C to complete the deal.
    About the neck's dive,I should think alittle before posting such a silly question :bag: ...the RBX775 had "by default" a BEADG config and when I bought it (it came directly from the warehouse) the neck was already very well fit.After 8 months of intense playing under all kinds of temperature/humidity conditions and changing to EADGC,the neck is rock steady so I really don't expect anything bad when changing to a .035 except for a 2-minute tweak of the saddle.
    Regards,
    Le Basseur
    PS
    WillBuckingham,thanks alot for the link.I'll surely order some stuff from there! :)

6. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Hmm, there's nothing on Rotosound's website about tension. I just said that because after I switched to EADG tuning (and I change my strings one at a time) my neck had a lot more forward-bow and I needed to tighten the trussrod.

I suppose if you were using a heavier gauge E and light gauge C then your E would probably have more tension than your E and vicer-versa if you switched to a heavier C and lighter E.