High C String Set Suggestions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dylan Bretz, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Dylan Bretz

Dylan Bretz

Jun 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Does anyone have suggestions for a set of bass strings for a 5 String with a high "C"? The only strings I've tried are DR High Beams 30-105. I think I want to try some lighter strings this time. The "Warwick 40310 ML Black Label" looks cool and so do Fodera's "5-String High C Set Light N".

I play mainly jazz and need good note definition up high without it sounding too "bright" for soloing. My bass is a 1999 5-String MIM Jazz Deluxe Bass.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

Thanks,
    - Dylan

2. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    A bit unusual, but I use chromes for that.
    E-C, I make a light custom set from singles; 32-40-55-75-105. (Most go for 95). The C is only in .32, but works ok.

Dylan Bretz likes this.
  3. Dug2

Dug2 Guest

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    i use Kalium. you can pick whatever gauge you like.
    Home

Dylan Bretz likes this.
  4. LeMaartien

LeMaartien Always forward. Never straight. Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Arcachon, France
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Dylan Bretz likes this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Search is over with these:

Dunlop Super Bright Stainless Steel Round Wound Electric Bass Strings Long Scale Set - 6-String 30-130 DBSBS30130 - SALE

Better strings than most, and cost much less. And seriously, if you buy a bunch of them I'll buy the .130 B strings from you. I'm not joking. Or email Jason and see if he'll remove the .130's and give you a better price and I'll buy them from him.

And even though the gauges are the same as the others you mentioned, Super Brights are still lighter.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Dylan Bretz likes this.
  6. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    Discarding a string is just a hassle, or a waste of money and resources. The most choice is from a 4 set plus a single , or all singles, instead of restricting yourself to a very few high-C sets.

Dylan Bretz likes this.
  7. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I use Fodera nickels. Good balance, not too light on the C.

Dylan Bretz likes this.