1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High C String Set Suggestions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dylan Bretz, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Dylan Bretz

Dylan Bretz

Jun 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Does anyone have suggestions for a set of bass strings for a 5 String with a high "C"? The only strings I've tried are DR High Beams 30-105. I think I want to try some lighter strings this time. The "Warwick 40310 ML Black Label" looks cool and so do Fodera's "5-String High C Set Light N".

I play mainly jazz and need good note definition up high without it sounding too "bright" for soloing. My bass is a 1999 5-String MIM Jazz Deluxe Bass.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

Thanks,
    - Dylan

2. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    A bit unusual, but I use chromes for that.
    E-C, I make a light custom set from singles; 32-40-55-75-105. (Most go for 95). The C is only in .32, but works ok.

Dylan Bretz likes this.
  3. Dug2

Dug2

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    i use Kalium. you can pick whatever gauge you like.
    Home

Dylan Bretz likes this.
  4. TheMaartian

TheMaartian Always forward. Never straight.

Sep 23, 2014
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Dylan Bretz likes this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Search is over with these:

Dunlop Super Bright Stainless Steel Round Wound Electric Bass Strings Long Scale Set - 6-String 30-130 DBSBS30130 - SALE

Better strings than most, and cost much less. And seriously, if you buy a bunch of them I'll buy the .130 B strings from you. I'm not joking. Or email Jason and see if he'll remove the .130's and give you a better price and I'll buy them from him.

And even though the gauges are the same as the others you mentioned, Super Brights are still lighter.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Dylan Bretz likes this.
  6. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Discarding a string is just a hassle, or a waste of money and resources. The most choice is from a 4 set plus a single , or all singles, instead of restricting yourself to a very few high-C sets.

Dylan Bretz likes this.
  7. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I use Fodera nickels. Good balance, not too light on the C.

Dylan Bretz likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021