High D string?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Calvin Marks, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Calvin Marks

Calvin Marks Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    I know you can find a high C string but are there any high D strings available to use with solo tuned B E A?

2. Someone here on Talkbass got a high D from Pirastro, but it is not a catalog string. Best ask at Pirastro directly what high Ds they have available.
    And be prepared to pay a lot for it!

piggywiddle likes this.
  3. Calvin Marks

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    I hate Pirastro - their customer service sucks. It’s crazy that you can have Gamut or Dlugolecki make you anything you want for cheaper than what a big firm like Pirastro charges.

4. Gut strings are handmade and much easier to scale up and down. Wound strings cannot be scaled up and down that easily, since the companies are dependent on the wire manufacturers. Changing the winding often changes either the tension too much or different material needs to be used which changes the sound.
    Also for a high C or D the steel core itself (which is typically uniform for all strings in a set, except for wound gut) might be too heavy to get the desired tension. So a thinner core needs to be used which changes the sound, is more prone to breakage etc.

It’s not as easy as you think.
    And high C and D strings are not ask for very often, so development is shorter to keep the development costs down for the exotic strings.
    My luthier told me basses with high C strings are less than 1% of his jobs. I think ones with a high D is even a lot less than that.

unbrokenchain and Michael Glynn like this.
  5. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    for the record i've had nothing but good experiences with Pirastro as a company. Sorry to hear about your experience.

salcott, 16fuss and unbrokenchain like this.
  6. Calvin Marks

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    they used to be good. I’d get a ton of prototypes to try out (provided that I pass them on if necessary) and often they would let me keep them.

I contacted them a while back for some Eudoxa Solo Strings and they quoted me $2,500 before tax and shipping.

7. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    doesn't sound like bad customer service just sounds like you don't agree with their prices.

16fuss and piggywiddle like this.
  8. Calvin Marks

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    fair

9. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    I have an Evah High D(tunes to E in fifths tuning). It’s great!

10. Calvin Marks

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    I am very confused by this. evah makes a fifths tuning double bass set?

11. Obligatos have a 5th tuning set, but it's a four strings, not five.

12. Calvin Marks

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    I agree. I have never heard of Evah making a fifths tuning set, let alone one with a high E string...sounds like he has a cello string or something

13. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    it’s a high d but I tune it to e... ;)

14. Calvin Marks

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    you had Pirastro custom make for you a high E string? Try don’t make an Evah Pirazzi fifths tuning set...

15. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    It’s a high d.
    It’s not in their catalog but you can order it using the product code.

840234 BASS special product. Evah Pirazzi D High Solo
    840274 BASS special product. PERMANENT D High Solo
    840225 BASS special product. Obligato D High Solo

they also have an obligato and passione high e.

840208 double bass special product Obligato E High Solo
    840270 double bass special product Passione E High Solo

Francois Blais likes this.
  16. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I have a permanent high D on my bass. I tune it to C and D. It fairly high tension so it is also good as a C string. I use ADGC tuning and GDGD sometimes.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021