Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HIGH E

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by YOYO, Apr 5, 2002.

1. YOYO

YOYO

Apr 4, 2002
    FRANCE-PARIS
    Hello, i've got a 6 strings bass but i don't want the low B, i prefer to have (to trie) a high E just like a guitar : E-B-G-D-A-E. I'm looking for a solution to have the same sound (and the same tension) with all the strings. Thanks, and sorry for my poor english (again !)

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Standard guitar tuning is E-A-D-G-B-E (low-high. It looks like you might have just listed the strings in reverse order).

Also, the fastest, easiest, and cheapest way to get strings for such a set-up might be to just buy a 7-string set of strings and not use the low-B-string. Otherwise, there are plenty of string manufacturers that will put together a custom set of strings for you...

(Note: There may be pre-packaged sets of strings available to suit your needs that I am not aware of. If so, hopefully, another TB member will reply with the info.)

3. i'm not sure i understand your question, but not because of the "poor english."

I just don't get it....lol....

What is your native language? I might be able to understand it if it is Spanish.....

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you're right - as I was trying to explain in the previous thread in DB where this question was asked, you probably won't get a standard set as you have to go back to the 1962 Fender Bass VI - which was also known as the "baritone guitar" or G&L also produced one in 1991, but I don't think it was very popular and never got past the prototype stage!

I think that bassists have avoided this configuration, for fear of being asked : "Well why not just play guitar with an octave pedal then! " ;)

Lots of online string sellers do custom sets, but you are going to struggle for a high E bass string - but then it is the same as a low E on a guitar!! ;) Basses also usually have a high C rather than B.

5. Yeah, basses usually do have a high C rather than B, but there are many people on this board, John Turner for example, who like having a B.

Wait...
    The low E on guitar is exactly one octave above the low E on bass (41.20 Hz)...so that makes it the 12th fret on the E string, the 7th fret on the A and the second fret on the D. The G in a standard EADG 4-string is higher pitched than the low E on guitar, which is 82.41 Hz. (The G is 98.00 Hz.) The high note on a 6-string bass is either 123.47 Hz (BEADGB tuning) or 130.81 Hz (BEADGC tuning). If he wanted a high E bass string, this would correspond to the 164.81 Hz E, exactly one octave above the low E of a guitar. :confused:

BTW - PLEASE TELL ME IF THE ABOVE IS WRONG.......

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    He actually has the correct tuning of a guitar, folks--he just started with the high E instead of the low E.

As they said, it would probably be easiest to buy a 7 string bass set, and just use the B string to annoy your cat. :D As for the tension, you might need to adjust your truss rod, you might not. I went from D'Addario Slowounds with a low B to a set of TI Jazz Flats with a high C on my USA Curbow, and didn't have to adjust anything except the string height to allow my hamhands to use the same force on the lighter tension strings without bottoming out. And, even that went back down after I relaxed a little, and lightened my touch.

7. If you want to get really high strings for your bass, D'Adderio makes .020 and .018 plain steel bass strings. click me (they are about half way down on this page)