Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

High End Acoustic Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r_simonini, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Anyone have preferences on high end acoustic electric basses?

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    hmm...I'd like to give a Gougi a go (with the Schertler system) --

[​IMG]

The new Azola "Nouveau" looks nifty --

[​IMG]

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

wow...that EVD looks really interesting...as does the price! So they make a six string ABG too? hmmmmmmm....
    oh...the Azola Nouveau IS nifty. There are models with only piezos, piezos and mags or only mags...fretted or fretless (or curved upright fingerboard). Some of the finest basswork I have ever sampled (Steve and Jill are awfully nice folks, too!). If you have some cash you NEED to spend on an ABG...check into these (I think they start around $1900...)...some damn fine instruments!

Max

4. Dave Holland is playing an MTD ABG--dunno if he still makes them though.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I dont knopw how any of those compete volume wise with an acoustic guitar, but then again I dont know if you are going to play unplugged anyways.

If you do, nothing works better than getting two guitar playing buddies and having them come to a store with you and have you play along.

I know Tacoma is an amazing bass with a great unplugged volume and tone. I own one.

However that doesnt matter much if you are planning on plugging into an amp anyways.

Peace
    Nick

6. Well, it was quite a bit cheaper back when I got mine, but my bass is the one in the picture. I don't know if Edward has actually made any six string ABGs, but given some of the other bizarre stuff he's built, I'm sure he's up to it. :)

The other two ABGs that I think are relly cool at this point are archtops: the Azola Deco and the Moll archtop.

I did get to go to Mike Tobias' shop and play one of his ABGs when I was shopping, but unfortunately, that one ended up having a cracked brace, so I never did get to hear one at "at it's best".

Mike

7. I almost never plug in. For one, the piezo doesn't sound nearly as good as the natural acoustic sound of the bass. Second, I just don't gig with the ABG much, though I play it a lot at home or jamming with friends. You do have to get used to the fact that even the best ABG won't fill up the low end the same way an electric bass does, though.

The Tacoma is an very good instrument, I agree--had it been available when I was shopping for a bass, I might have gone that way. The EVD is louder and the tone is more complex (I've played them head-to-head), but even next to an instrument that cost 3 times as much, the Tacoma sounded pretty darn good.

Mike

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yes the Tacoma Acoustic/electric bass is probably the best sounding and loudest acoustic bass I've ever played... you can get them between 700-900 i believe.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've played two ABGs close to "high end". One was a custom one off bass that I can't remember who made. It was nice. The other was a Martin.

My Tacoma absolutely crushes both of them in terms of acoustic tone.

I believe Tacoma is coming out with a higher line version of the Thunderchief. The top of the line Thunderchief is something like $1300 list, but I think they're coming out with a new high end version.

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I have a 6-string fretless on order from Jon Shuker in England, so there are some people who do it. I don't have the bass yet, so I can't say how successful it is. I have high hopes but reasonable expectations (can't change the laws of physics).

If you're looking, you might at least consider his stuff.

www.shukerguitars.co.uk

11. The Shukers look pretty cool--I'd love to hear what you think of it when it's finished. Any idea when it'll be finished?

On the subject of 6-string ABGs, Larrivee made 5's and 6's for the longest time--Steve Bailey's pictured with a 6-string Larrivee fretless in a recent Bass Player, even. I don't know if they still do, though, since they dropped their ABG line for a while.

Mike

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Should be within 2 weeks. As yet, I'm undecided whether I'll have Jon ship it or whether he'll bring it with him in a projected trip to NYC in the first half of July (which might or might not happen). The latter might be safer and would certainly cost me less--though it would also make the wait longer!

13. Taylor is THE choice!

14. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Here's an ABG I made a few years ago. I think it's pretty loud and punchy, especially for a fretless. Jay Hargreaves' Blue Jay is also very impressive, but the short scale and nylon strings take a little getting used to.

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Shoot--you made that? I came across that photo a while back, before I even ordered from Shuker, and I was interested in talking to you about a bass. I tried to get hold of you through Roberto-Venn, but I guess you had already left. Oh well ....

16. I remember seeing your Briarwood! Another cool bass.

Mike

17. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Sorry I dissapeared on you! Wouldn't have really mattered, I haven't been in a position to build acoustics in a while.

I'd like to get the neck for this bass programmed on our CNC some day. Then I should be able to take some orders again.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats probably the price with electronics. Since Im sure alot of us dont plug in, I dont, you can get them for even less.

My favorite local guitar store has a four string in there for $679 with case, and I got my 5 string for $780.

That has to be the best investment Ive ever made.

BTW: The B is a little weaker than the rest of the strings, but its not anything too serious. My other five string is a G&L L2500 which I play through a 2-15" speaker cab tuned to 30Hz, so I have a feeling that I may just be a little spoiled when it comes to powerful low end.

Does anyone know of any strings I should try on my ABG? Anyone have a favorite?

Peace
    Nick

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You could ask in the strings forum, but I've been very happy with Elixers on my Tacoma. I got over 2 years out of my first set.