1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High end amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JMD730, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Hey everyone.

I am new to the forums. I had a few questions for everyone. What amps are considered class A or high end? I've been trying to search the forums for an answer to this, but I cant find anything.

Also, I have read that some bass players use guitar amps instead of bass amps. How big of an issue is wattage? Guitar amps are usually not over 100 and bass amps are usually over 200. Is using a guitar amp very uncommon?
    Any information you guys have is much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jimmy

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hi Jimmy, welcome to the forums. As far as what amps are considered high end, there are actually a lot of top brands these days, such as Aguilar, Thunderfunk, EBS, Phil Jones, or Walter Woods just to name a few. Just FYI, the phrase "class A" has a very specific meaning in amplifiers which may not be what you meant.

Wattage is only part of the story. Bass frequencies generally require more wattage than treble frequencies, but there's also the question of what frequencies are best supported by the circuit design, the onboard EQ, the speakers, and the design of the speaker cab. All of those things can vary between guitar and bass-specific amps/cabs.

3. everybody kinda has a different idea of high end, when i think high end i think SWR, Eden, Aguilar, Bergantino. Phil JOnes and Walter Woods are boutique range IMO, theyre WAYY expensive, theres a ton of different options as far as high end goes.

4. Thanks for the info. I actually play guitar, so thats where the class a comes from. Are most bass amps solid state or do they have tubes?
    Thanks!

5. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Welcome to TB! Technically the classes of amplifiers (A, B, A/B) has to do with how they are bised. Very technical stuff. You would not want a class A amp for bass. They are terribly inefficent. Maybe good for ultra high end Hi-Fi but not stage gear. Bass amps are both solid state and tube. Probably more SS than tube due to cost, but many feel that tube amps have a smoother sound.

6. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I had a Class A home stereo amp made by Sugdon. I paid a crazy amount of money for it and it lasted less than 2 years before it completely broke down. It was then out of warranty and the cost of fixing it was going to not be worth it. I replaced it with a Yamaha home theater amp and never looked back.

Never heard of a Class A bass amp. But I don't think it would be practical at all.